Top U.S. general urges Google to work with military




  • In US
  • 2018-12-07 00:14:34Z
  • By Reuters

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The top U.S. general said on Thursday that it was "inexplicable" that technology giants like Alphabet Inc's Google did not want to work with the Pentagon even as they seek out business with China, where companies have less freedom than in the United States.

"We are the good guys and it's inexplicable to me that we would make compromises in order to advance our business interests in China where we know that freedoms are restrained, where we know that China will take intellectual property from companies," Marine General Joseph Dunford, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, said during an event.

A Google spokeswoman for China issues did not immediately respond to a request to comment. Google Chief Executive Sundar Pichai has previously said the company has invested in China for years and plans to continue to do so, but that the company also was continuing to work with the U.S. government on projects in health care, cybersecurity and other fields.

Earlier this year Google said it was no longer vying for a $10 billion cloud computing contract with the U.S. Defense Department, in part because the company's new ethical guidelines do not align with the project.

In June, Google said it would not renew a contract to help the U.S. military analyze aerial drone imagery when it expires, as the company sought to defuse internal uproar over the deal.

The defense program, called Project Maven, set off a revolt inside Google, as factions of employees opposed Google technology being used in warfare.

At the same time, Google is developing a censored search engine for Chinese users, which it says is experimental and not close to launching.

Google has long sought to have a bigger presence in China, the world's largest internet market. It needs government approval to compete with the country's dominant homegrown internet services.

Current and former employees, human rights activists and U.S. lawmakers have criticized Google for not taking a harder line against the Chinese government's policy that politically sensitive results be blocked.

"I'm not sure that people at Google will enjoy a world order that is informed by the norms and standards of Russia or China," Dunford said, without mentioning any other tech companies by name during his remarks.

(Reporting by Idrees Ali and Phil Stewart; Additional reporting by Paresh Dave in San Francisco; Editing by Lisa Shumaker)

COMMENTS

More Related News

Canada slams China detentions; foreign minister to press Pompeo
Canada slams China detentions; foreign minister to press Pompeo

China detained the two after Canadian authorities arrested a top Chinese executive on a U.S. request. Canadian Foreign Minister Chrystia Freeland is due to raise the matter in Washington on Friday amid concerns that comments by President Donald Trump may have undermined the U.S. case for extradition

U.S. confirms China soybean purchase, but no clarity over more sales
U.S. confirms China soybean purchase, but no clarity over more sales

CHICAGO/WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. government officials on Thursday hailed China's first meagre purchase of U.S. soybeans since its trade war with the United States began in July and said they hoped for, but could not guarantee, more to come. The U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) announced

U.S. confirms China soybean sale, but size disappoints
U.S. confirms China soybean sale, but size disappoints

China's meager first purchase of U.S. soybeans since its trade war with the United States began in July disappointed farmers, grain traders and a U.S. government official hoping for larger sales to lift slumping prices and absorb a huge surplus across the U.S. farm belt, they said on Thursday. The

Google CEO Had To Explain To Congress Why Googling 'Idiot' Shows Donald Trump
Google CEO Had To Explain To Congress Why Googling 'Idiot' Shows Donald Trump

Search for the term "idiot" on Google and several photographs of President

Canada frees CFO of China
Canada frees CFO of China's Huawei on bail; Trump might intervene

A top executive of Chinese telecoms giant Huawei Technologies Co Ltd was granted bail by a Canadian court on Tuesday, 10 days after her arrest in Vancouver at the request of U.S. authorities sparked a diplomatic dispute. Meng Wanzhou, Huawei's chief financial officer and the daughter of its founder

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with *

Cancel reply

Comments

Top News: US

facebook
Hit "Like"
Don't miss any important news
Thanks, you don't need to show me this anymore.