Top U.S. diplomat urges action on harassment as issue roils White House




 

CAIRO (Reuters) - U.S. Secretary of State Rex Tillerson on Monday urged department employees to intervene if they witness sexual harassment, two days after U.S. President Donald Trump expressed sympathy for those accused of harassment and not given due process.

"There is no form of disrespect for the individual that I can identify, anything more demeaning than for someone to suffer this kind of treatment," he said.

"It's not OK if you're seeing it happening and just look away. You must do something. You must notify someone. You must step in and intervene," Tillerson added, speaking in Cairo to about 150 U.S. embassy staff outside the ambassador's residence.

Tillerson's comments came amid a chorus of sexual misconduct accusations against powerful men in media, business and politics in the United States that in recent days has reached top aides in the White House.

His remarks also stand in stark contrast to those expressed by Trump, who last week defended a top aide who resigned after domestic violence allegations against him came to light and over the weekend also took to Twitter to raise doubts about such allegations.

A second White House aide left late last week after domestic violence allegations against him also surfaced. Both men have denied the accusations. Reuters has not independently verified either case.

"(People's) lives are being shattered and destroyed by a mere allegation. Some are true and some are false. ... Is there no such thing any longer as Due Process?" Trump said on Twitter on Saturday.

Tillerson, in contrast, on Monday emphasized that all State Department employees would undergo mandatory training to be completed by June 1. The training was announced last month, according to the department.

Speaking in Cairo at the start of a Middle East tour, he said respect for one another is a key value at the State Department, noting that a prime example is the problem of sexual harassment.

In November, some 200 women who worked in national security, including at the State Department, signed a letter calling for mandatory training and channels to report abuse without fear of retribution.

Asked about Trump's public defense of one of the now-departed aides, Rob Porter, White House spokesman Hogan Gidley on Monday said that, while Trump has not spoken out publicly against the allegations in that case, the president has in the past said domestic abuse is "disgusting."

"There is no place for it in this country and no place for it in the White House, and the president won't stand for it," Gidley told Fox News in an interview.

(Reporting by Yara Bayoumy; Writing by Makini Brice and Susan Heavey; Editing by Jeffrey Benkoe)

COMMENTS

More Related News

Trump says he
Trump says he's reducing Central American aid over migrants

WASHINGTON (AP) - President Donald Trump said Monday the U.S. would begin "cutting off, or substantially reducing" aid to three Central American nations over a migrant caravan heading to the U.S. southern border.

DeSantis, Gillum tackle Trump and more in Florida debate
DeSantis, Gillum tackle Trump and more in Florida debate

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (AP) - Democratic candidate for Florida governor Andrew Gillum isn't a big fan of Donald Trump, but he said during a televised debate that he'd gladly work with the president to bring money to the state for needed projects.

A ragged, growing army of migrants resumes march toward US
A ragged, growing army of migrants resumes march toward US
  • World
  • 2018-10-21 23:27:15Z

TAPACHULA, Mexico (AP) - A ragged army of Honduran migrants streamed through southern Mexico on Sunday heading toward the United States, after making an end-run around Mexican agents who briefly blocked them at the Guatemalan border.

Saudi account of Khashoggi killing is widely denounced
Saudi account of Khashoggi killing is widely denounced
  • World
  • 2018-10-20 17:48:05Z

ISTANBUL (AP) - Turkey will "never allow a cover-up" of the killing of Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi in Saudi Arabia's consulate in Istanbul, a senior official in Turkey's ruling party said Saturday, reflecting international skepticism over the Saudi account that the writer died

At dueling events, Trump and Biden keeping focus on Nevada
At dueling events, Trump and Biden keeping focus on Nevada

President Donald Trump and former Vice President Joe Biden, a potential White House challenger in 2020, are making election pushes several hundred miles apart from each other in pivotal Nevada, where early voting was beginning Saturday. Trump was wrapping up a visit to Western states with an afternoon

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with *

Cancel reply

Comments

Top News: Europe

facebook
Hit "Like"
Don't miss any important news
Thanks, you don't need to show me this anymore.