Three top FBI officials quit as US cybersecurity threats mount




Three top FBI officials quit as US cybersecurity threats mount
Three top FBI officials quit as US cybersecurity threats mount  


Looming cybersecurity threats are reportedly behind the departure of several cybersecurity officials at the Federal Bureau of Investigation. According to The Wall Street Journal, three of the top FBI officials -- Scott Smith, David Resch, and Carl Ghattas -- are exiting the bureau.

The resignations come amidst an "unprecedented" number of cyberattacks, which apparently include Russian meddling in the political system, as well as disputes with President Trump. Last year, the US President took a swipe at the FBI's reputation on social media, calling it "the worst in history".

Assistant FBI director Scott Smith is set to resign this month, and will be joined by David Resch, the FBI's executive assistant director of the cyber, response and services office. Meanwhile, the national security branch of the FBI will lose Carl Ghattas -- also an executive assistant director -- as he pursues other opportunities in the private sector.

All the departures have been confirmed by the FBI.

In a statement, Resch assured the public that "the Bureau will remain the FBI the American people have depended on for 110 years". Those familiar with the decisions have labelled the mass exodus of senior officials as "highly unusual", particularly in the case of Smith, whose premature departure diverges from the standard practice of agents leaving after retirement age.

With the shadow of the 2016 election hacking still lingering, and concerns with present cybersecurity issues, senior US intelligence officials have cautioned the country has reached a "critical point".

The Wall Street Journal
COMMENTS

More Related News

US newspapers to Trump: We
US newspapers to Trump: We're not enemies of the people

Newspapers from Maine to Hawaii pushed back against President Donald Trump's attacks on "fake news" Thursday with a coordinated series of editorials speaking up for a free and vigorous press - and, not surprisingly, Trump didn't take it silently. The Portland (Maine) Press-Herald said

Trump
Trump's military parade is estimated to cost $92 million - $80 million more than earlier estimate
  • Tech
  • 2018-08-16 15:16:00Z

A Pentagon spokesman said in an email to CNBC that the Defense Department expects to make an announcement soon, but he would not comment further. The parade is slated for Nov. 10 in Washington, D.C.

If Omarosa Did Sign An NDA, Trump Might've Broken The Law
If Omarosa Did Sign An NDA, Trump Might've Broken The Law

The White House may have broken the law and President Donald Trump just

Night of firsts as Democrats pick diverse slate of nominees
Night of firsts as Democrats pick diverse slate of nominees

In a night of firsts, Democrats in Vermont's primary chose the nation's first transgender gubernatorial nominee. In Minnesota, they picked a woman who would be the first Somali-American member of Congress. Connecticut Democrats nominated a candidate who could become the first black woman from

Donald Trump Sparks Outrage After Calling Omarosa A 'Dog'
Donald Trump Sparks Outrage After Calling Omarosa A 'Dog'

President Donald Trump faced backlash Tuesday morning after he called his

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with *

Cancel reply

Comments

Top News: Economy

facebook
Hit "Like"
Don't miss any important news
Thanks, you don't need to show me this anymore.