Three confirmed killed in mid-air seaplane crash in southeastern Alaska




  • In US
  • 2019-05-14 02:43:24Z
  • By By Yereth Rosen

By Yereth Rosen

ANCHORAGE, Alaska (Reuters) - Two seaplanes collided in mid-air on Monday over southeastern Alaska, killing at least three of those aboard, injuring 10 others and leaving three people missing, U.S. Coast Guard and Federal Aviation Administration officials said.

The two aircraft - one with 11 passengers and crew, the other with five people aboard - went down over water about 25 to 30 miles (40-48 km) northeast of Ketchikan, according to Coast Guard Petty Officer Jon-Paul Rios, speaking from Juneau.

The crash site, which the FAA said was at Coon Cove near George Inlet, lies in the vicinity of a popular tourist lodge that runs excursions to the nearby Misty Fjords National Monument, about 300 miles (480 km) south of Juneau, Alaska's capital.

One of the aircraft involved was a de Havilland DHC-2 Beaver with five people aboard, and the other was a de Havilland Otter DHC-3 carrying 11 people, FAA spokesman Allen Kenitzer said in an email message, citing information from local authorities.

The Ketchikan-based operator of the larger plane, Taquan Air, said its pilot and nine passengers had been accounted for, and one passenger remained missing. That group was returning from a flight-seeing tour of Misty Fjords when the crash occurred, Taquan said in a statement.

Rios initially reported 10 people from the two planes were receiving medical care, with six others listed as unaccounted for. He later said three of the missing had been confirmed as dead. The conditions of the six injured victims were not immediately known, he said.

Neither of the single-engine planes was under air traffic control when they collided, and circumstances of the crash were not immediately known, Kenitzer said.


(Reporting by Yereth Rosen in Anchorage; Editing by Steve Gorman and Peter Cooney)

COMMENTS

More Related News

Trump postpones nationwide immigration enforcement sweep
Trump postpones nationwide immigration enforcement sweep

President Donald Trump on Saturday delayed a nationwide immigration sweep to deport people living the United States illegally, including families, saying he would give lawmakers two weeks to work out solutions for the southern border. The move came after House Speaker Nancy Pelosi called Trump on Friday

Trump defends pre-dawn Ice raids on migrant families set to begin on Sunday
Trump defends pre-dawn Ice raids on migrant families set to begin on Sunday

Raids ordered by Trump will reportedly target more than 2,000 migrants who received letters ordering them to appear in courtThe raids are set to target more than 2,000 migrants, reports said. Photograph: Smiley N Pool/APRaids on migrants in cities including New York, Chicago and Miami could begin as early as Sunday.The raids, which Donald Trump described in a tweet earlier this week, will target more than 2,000 migrants who have received letters ordering them to appear in immigration court, according to the Miami Herald.The operation, which the Washington Post said the president has ordered, could target people in Miami, Atlanta, Chicago, Baltimore, Denver, Houston, Los Angeles, New...

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with *

Cancel reply

Comments

Top News: US

facebook
Hit "Like"
Don't miss any important news
Thanks, you don't need to show me this anymore.