Third suspect charged in fatal shooting of off-duty Monterey Park police officer




  • In US
  • 2022-08-17 02:55:52Z
  • By LA Times
Los Angeles County Dist. Atty. George Gascón speaks at an Aug. 10 news conference about the fatal shooting of off-duty Monterey Park Police Officer Gardiel Solorio. (Dania Maxwell / Los Angeles Times)
Los Angeles County Dist. Atty. George Gascón speaks at an Aug. 10 news conference about the fatal shooting of off-duty Monterey Park Police Officer Gardiel Solorio. (Dania Maxwell / Los Angeles Times)  

Authorities have charged a third suspect in connection with the fatal shooting of an off-duty Monterey Park police officer in Downey last week.

Gerardo Magallanes, 18, of San Pedro faces one count each of murder, shooting at an occupied vehicle and unlawful possession of a firearm while on probation, the Los Angeles County district attorney's office said Tuesday.

He is not accused of opening fire during the Aug. 8 shooting that killed Monterey Park Police Officer Gardiel Solorio in what prosecutors said was a robbery attempt.

Prosecutors believe that a minor, who was also arrested but not named, drove Magallanes and 20-year-old Carlos Delcid to a gym parking lot where Solorio was parked.

Delcid is accused of getting out of the vehicle and approaching with a gun while attempting to rob the off-duty officer and take his car.

"While the minor and Magallanes waited nearby, Delcid allegedly shot the victim multiple times as Solorio backed out of the space, then returned to the waiting car and fled with the minor and Magallanes," prosecutors said.

Magallanes' arraignment was continued to Sept. 8 at the Norwalk Courthouse, prosecutors said.

Like Magallanes, Delcid was charged with one count each of murder and shooting at an occupied vehicle. He was also charged with being a felon in possession of a firearm, and faces a special circumstance allegation of committing murder during a carjacking.

His arraignment is also scheduled for Sept. 8. The minor was charged last week in juvenile court, prosecutors said.

"We will ensure that anyone involved in the tragic and senseless killing of Officer Solorio is held accountable," Dist. Atty. George Gascón said. "My office commends the excellent investigative work of the police in this case and tracking all who were involved."

This story originally appeared in Los Angeles Times.

COMMENTS

More Related News

Roundup: Murder charges dropped in Santa Ynez case, more news
Roundup: Murder charges dropped in Santa Ynez case, more news
  • US
  • 2022-12-03 01:04:26Z

Santa Barbara County prosecutors dismiss murder case that involved regional manhunt, arrest in fatal Camarillo OD, beach contamination warning.

Man, already accused of murder, plotted second killing from jail, prosecutor says
Man, already accused of murder, plotted second killing from jail, prosecutor says
  • US
  • 2022-12-03 00:10:26Z

Smith was in custody at the Hamilton County Justice Center when the shooting took place.

Former chief of staff sues L.A. D.A. George Gascón for retaliation
Former chief of staff sues L.A. D.A. George Gascón for retaliation
  • US
  • 2022-12-02 23:16:49Z

Victoria Adams, the highest-ranking official from Jackie Lacey's administration to be brought into Dist. Atty. George Gascón's inner circle, is suing her...

Man faces charges related to fatal shooting Wednesday in Midtown Kansas City
Man faces charges related to fatal shooting Wednesday in Midtown Kansas City
  • US
  • 2022-12-02 23:16:43Z

A probable cause statement said the suspect told police he believed a man was trying to get into his vehicle and he fired a warning shot.

Clinton Thompson trial for 2012 killing delayed
Clinton Thompson trial for 2012 killing delayed
  • US
  • 2022-12-02 20:44:17Z

The trial date for a Wichita Falls man accused of murdering Rocky Buckley 10 years ago has been delayed.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with *

Cancel reply

Comments

Top News: US