The Latest: Trump says $1M on way to help Vegas after attack




 

LAS VEGAS (AP) - The Latest on the mass shooting in Las Vegas (all times local):

1:40 p.m.

President Donald Trump says the federal government is sending $1 million to Las Vegas to help pay law enforcement costs related to last week's mass killing.

Trump tweeted Wednesday that the grant will help pay for overtime logged by law enforcement officers after the gunman killed 58 people and injured hundreds more.

The Justice Department says the grant comes from emergency response funds within the Bureau of Justice Assistance.

The department says the grant recognizes the hard work and dedication of law enforcement officers who worked tirelessly in the wake of the attack.

____

12:35 p.m.

Lawyers who filed a lawsuit over the response to the Las Vegas massacre question why police and hotel and concert security officers didn't act more quickly to stop the gunman.

The lawyers held a news conference Wednesday alongside families of victims in the Oct. 1 shooting that killed 58 concert-goers and wounded hundreds more.

The attorneys want to know why six minutes passed without a police response from the time gunman Stephen Paddock strafed a hallway of the Mandalay Bay hotel with 200 rounds until he started killing people at the concert.

They also are perplexed about how Paddock was able to bring more than 20 rifles into his room without being detected.

Attorney Chad Pinkerton said authorities "should have done a better job and that's what this lawsuit is about."

____

7:30 a.m.

A maintenance worker says he immediately notified hotel dispatchers after a gunman sprayed a hotel hallway with bullets before shooting into a crowd at a Las Vegas music festival.

Stephen Schuck told NBC News on Wednesday that he was checking on a jammed door on the 32nd floor of the Mandalay Bay hotel on Oct. 1 when he heard gunshots.

He says he saw security guard Jesus Campos pop out from an alcove and was warned to take cover.

As he tried to take cover, bullets began flying in the hallway, whizzing right past his head. Schuck says he used his radio to alert hotel dispatchers that someone was firing a rifle in the hallway.

Police said Monday that gunman Stephen Paddock shot at the men about six minutes before he opened fire on the concertgoers, killing 58 people. They initially said he was already firing on the crowd when he paused to shoot through his door at the security guard.

____

12:30 a.m.

Another wrinkle has been added to the investigation into the Las Vegas massacre after a spokeswoman for the hotel where the gunman was a guest raised questions about the latest timeline of events provided by police.

MGM Resorts International spokeswoman Debra DeShong said the company believes "what is currently being expressed may not be accurate."

She didn't elaborate, but the statement came a day after police revised their chronology of events for the night of Oct. 1, when gunman Stephen Paddock opened fire from the 32nd floor of the Mandalay Bay hotel and killed 58 people.

Police initially said Paddock stopped firing on the crowd to shoot through his door and wound a Mandalay Bay security guard. On Monday, they said the guard actually was wounded before Paddock started the massacre.

COMMENTS

More Related News

FBI agent removed from Russia probe called Trump an
FBI agent removed from Russia probe called Trump an 'idiot'

Two FBI officials who would later be assigned to the special counsel's investigation into Donald Trump's presidential campaign described him with insults like "idiot" and "loathsome human" ...

Democrat Jones wins U.S. Senate seat in Alabama in blow to Trump
Democrat Jones wins U.S. Senate seat in Alabama in blow to Trump
  • US
  • 2017-12-13 03:42:41Z

Democrat Doug Jones won a bitter fight for a U.S. Senate seat in deeply conservative Alabama on Tuesday, U.S. media projected, dealing a political blow to President Donald Trump in a race marked by accusations of sexual misconduct against Republican candidate Roy Moore. The stunning upset by Jones makes

U.S. not granting loan relief to defrauded students: inspector general
U.S. not granting loan relief to defrauded students: inspector general
  • US
  • 2017-12-11 22:47:56Z

The U.S. Education Department under President Donald Trump and Secretary Betsy DeVos has stopped cancelling the student-loan debt of people defrauded by failed for-profit schools and those borrowers face mounting interest and other burdens, its inspector general said on Monday. DeVos is seeking to redo the process for cancelling the debts of people who attended Corinthian Colleges, which collapsed in 2015 amid government investigations into its post-graduation rates, and other failed schools. In the final days of his administration, President Barack Obama approved rules speeding up the debt cancellations.

White House Slamming Media
White House Slamming Media's Mistakes Is Height Of Hypocrisy

WASHINGTON ― White House press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders lashed out at reporters on Monday in response to multiple high-profile corrections to news stories this month, falsely claiming that journalistic outlets do not regularly take responsibility for mistakes and intentionally publish inaccurate information.

Cory Booker Calls On Donald Trump To Resign Over Sexual Misconduct Allegations
Cory Booker Calls On Donald Trump To Resign Over Sexual Misconduct Allegations

Sen. Cory Booker (D-N.J.) is calling on President Donald Trump to resign over the more than a dozen sexual misconduct allegations against him.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with *

Cancel reply

Comments

Top News: Latin America

facebook
Hit "Like"
Don't miss any important news
Thanks, you don't need to show me this anymore.