The Latest: New evacuations called for California wildfire




 

SANTA BARBARA, Calif. (AP) - The Latest on wildfires in California (all times local):

11 a.m.

Santa Barbara County has issued new evacuation orders as a huge wildfire bears down on Montecito and other communities.

The Office of Emergency Services announced the orders Saturday as winds pushed the fire close to the community, a wealthy enclave that's home to Oprah Winfrey and other celebrities.

The mandatory evacuation zone is now 17 miles long and up to 5 miles wide, extending from coastal mountains northwest of Los Angeles to the ocean.

Winds in the foothill area are hitting around 30 mph, with gusts up to 60 mph.

The fire has burned more than 700 homes since it began on Dec. 4.

One firefighter was killed Thursday battling the flames.

___

10:40 a.m.

A firefighter killed battling a wildfire northwest of Los Angeles died from burns and smoke inhalation.

The Ventura County medical examiner announced autopsy results Saturday for Cory Iverson. However, no other details were released.

The 32-year-old state fire engineer was killed Thursday at the Thomas Fire in Ventura County.

That blaze also was blamed for the death last week of a 70-year-old woman who died in a car crash on an evacuation route.

The fire has burned more than 700 homes and currently threatens the wealthy celebrity enclave of Montecito in Santa Barbara County.

___

9:15 a.m.

Santa Ana winds are again driving an enormous wildfire that's now surging toward a wealthy community in the coastal mountains northwest of Los Angeles.

The Thomas Fire is burning toward Montecito, home to Oprah Winfrey and many other celebrities.

No new evacuations have been called but the National Weather Service says winds in the area are gusting at around 30 mph. State fire officials say the blaze is spreading rapidly west.

Saturday is the 13th day that the Weather Service has declared a red flag warning of extreme fire danger because of dry, gusty conditions.

The fire that began on Dec. 4 is already the third-largest in California history. It has destroyed more than 700 homes and killed a firefighter.

___

6:50 a.m.

Officials say the massive wildfire that California has been battling since early December is now the third-largest in the state's history, with 259,000 acres (405 square miles) burned so far and the flames only 40 percent contained.

In terms of acreage consumed, the fire that started on Dec. 4 now exceeds the devastating Rim Fire in 2013 by 2,000 acres.

Steve Concialdi of the Orange County Fire Authority says the region has had "red flag" conditions for an unprecedented 13 consecutive days. Red flag conditions are when low relative humidity is combined with gusty, strong winds.

Concialdi said, "As of this morning, we're at 259,000 acres and still growing."

___

The fourth-largest wildfire in California history continues to grow and threaten thousands of homes despite armies of fire crews and fleets of bulldozers and aircraft.

The blaze northwest of Los Angeles grew by 3,000 acres overnight and although Santa Ana winds eased on Friday, they are expected to return with a vengeance over the weekend. And the fire is so large that winds on one end may be gustier than those on the other side.

The 11-day-old Thomas fire surging through Ventura and Santa Barbara counties had devoured some 400 square miles of brush and timber and burned more than 1,000 buildings, including well over 750 homes.

It also claimed the life of a firefighter Thursday.

Another 18,000 buildings are still in jeopardy, including mansions in the wealthy enclave of Montecito.

The fire is only 35 percent surrounded despite efforts by some 8,000 firefighters, 32 helicopters and 78 bulldozers.

COMMENTS

More Related News

Power to the Polls: Women
Power to the Polls: Women's March 2.0 aims to harness Trump opposition
  • US
  • 2018-01-20 14:10:01Z

Tens of thousands of protesters were expected to take to the streets of New York, Los Angeles and Washington on Saturday for the second Women's March, a multi-city mass rally hailed as the start of a new era of female political activism. This year's demonstration is being held in coordination with rallies planned for the weekend in some 250 other cities across the United States and overseas and marks the first anniversary of President Donald Trump's inauguration. "People were pretty damn mad last year and they're pretty damn mad this year," said Tamika Mallory, co-president of the Women's March board.

California couple may have used food to control starving children
California couple may have used food to control starving children
  • US
  • 2018-01-19 17:53:09Z

The California couple accused of beating, shackling and abusing their 13 children may have used starvation as a weapon to control them, experts say, and the malnourishment would likely cause lifelong physical and mental issues for the siblings. The parents, who were charged with multiple counts of torture, child abuse and false imprisonment, gave little food to their children, ranging in age from two to 29 years old, according to prosecutors, who said the abuse may have gone on for years.

Why This Black Girl Will Not Be Returning To The Women
Why This Black Girl Will Not Be Returning To The Women's March

Recently, I came across the Facebook event page for the 2018 Los Angeles Women's March.

The Latest: Neighbors grapple with reports of child torture
The Latest: Neighbors grapple with reports of child torture

RIVERSIDE, Calif. (AP) - The Latest on the torture and abuse case against the parents of 13 children and young adults in California (all times local):

Grisly details as California couple deny torturing children
Grisly details as California couple deny torturing children

A California couple pleaded not guilty Thursday to multiple counts of torture as grisly details emerged of how they allegedly kept their 13 children in locked rooms or chains, allowing them to shower no more than once a year. David Allen Turpin, 57, and his wife Louise Anna Turpin, 49 -- who had registered their home as a school -- were hit with 12 counts of torture, 12 of false imprisonment, six of child abuse and six of abuse of a dependent adult ahead of their court appearance in the city of Riverside. David Turpin was also charged with committing a lewd act against a child by force or fear or duress, District Attorney Mike Hestrin told a press conference.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with *

Cancel reply

Comments

Top News: Latin America

facebook
Hit "Like"
Don't miss any important news
Thanks, you don't need to show me this anymore.