The Latest: Brother of man killed by police wants justice





SACRAMENTO, Calif. (AP) - The Latest on the decision by a prosecutor not to charge the police officers who shot an unarmed black man last year (all times local):

4:20 p.m.

The brother of a California man shot to death by police says he still hopes the officers who fired the fatal bullets can be held accountable.

Stevante Clark told reporters Sunday that his family was devastated, first by his brother Stephon's killing last March as he held a cellphone in his grandparents' yard, and again Saturday when Sacramento County District Attorney Anne Marie Schubert announced the officers would not be charged.

Schubert says evidence shows the officers had reason to believe that Clark, 22, was holding a gun.

"The district attorney shouldn't be trusted," Clark's soft-spoken brother told a news conference, adding "justice was denied."

He added the family is preparing to hold a legacy weekend celebration of his brother's life beginning March 15 and ending on March 18, the anniversary of Stephon Clark's death.

Family attorney Ben Crump says California Attorney General Xavier Becerra is expected to release the findings of his own investigation into the shooting on March 18.

___

3:45 p.m.

The attorney for the family of a black man shot to death by police as he held a cellphone says his clients are hoping an investigation by California's attorney general will come to a different conclusion than that of local prosecutors who cleared the officers of any charges.

Attorney Ben Crump said Sunday on the Rev. Al Sharpton's MSNBC show that California Attorney General Xavier Becerra is expected to release the results of his own investigation into the March 18, 2018, shooting of Stephon Clark later this month.

He didn't indicate how that might affect the case.

Sacramento County District Attorney Anne Marie Schubert announced Saturday that Officers Terrance Mercadal and Jared Robinet would not be charged.

The officers have said they thought Clark, 22, was holding a gun when they confronted him in his grandparents' yard. They had been looking for a vandalism suspect.

___

12:40 p.m.

Relatives of a black man fatally shot by police officers while holding a cellphone say they will press their "pursuit of justice" after prosecutors in California declined to bring charges against the officers.

Stephon Clark's family reacted with anger and dismay to Saturday's announcement.

They scheduled a Sunday afternoon news conference with members of the Rev. Al Sharpton's National Action Network to discuss what they will do next.

Family members accused prosecutors in Sacramento of unfairly blaming Clark, 22, for his death by revealing the personal troubles he'd been going through in the days before.

The mother of his children had recently brought a domestic violence complaint against him.

Officers pursuing a vandalism suspect say they thought Clark was holding a gun when they confronted him. It was his phone.

COMMENTS

More Related News

Bad air days on the rise: The nation's most polluted city is ...
Bad air days on the rise: The nation's most polluted city is ...

Though California cities have the nation's worst air quality, as usual, a new report finds that smog and soot pollution is increasing in other U.S. cities as well.

PG&E get approval to pay employees $350 million to meet safety goals after wildfires
PG&E get approval to pay employees $350 million to meet safety goals after wildfires

PG&E Corp can pay employees up to $350 million in bonuses this year to spur them to help meet the bankrupt California power provider's safety goals to prevent wildfires, a judge said on Tuesday. PG&E's management has said the company needs to implement the bonus plan to carry out tasks such as clearing trees and branches around power lines to avert contact that triggers wildfires. While the maximum cost of the plan is $350 million, PG&E has said it expects the likely cost will be around $235 million.

NASA probe records first likely
NASA probe records first likely 'marsquake' detected on red planet

NASA's robotic probe InSight has detected and measured what scientists believe to be a "marsquake," marking the first time a likely seismological tremor has been recorded on another planet, the Jet Propulsion Laboratory in California reported on Tuesday. The breakthrough came five months after InSight, the first spacecraft designed specifically to study the deep interior of a distant world, touched down on the surface of Mars to begin its two-year seismological mission on the red planet. The faint rumble characterized by JPL scientists as a likely marsquake was recorded on April 6, the lander's 128th Martian day, or sol.

Oldest southern sea otter in captivity dies in California
Oldest southern sea otter in captivity dies in California

LONG BEACH, Calif. (AP) - Charlie, the oldest southern sea otter held by any zoo or aquarium, has died in California.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with *

Cancel reply

Comments

Top News: Latin America

facebook
Hit "Like"
Don't miss any important news
Thanks, you don't need to show me this anymore.