Texas tent city to close as migrant teens in U.S. government custody released




  • In US
  • 2019-01-11 19:19:03Z
  • By By Julio-Cesar Chavez
FILE PHOTO: Immigrant children are led by staff in single file between tents at a detention facility in Tornillo, Texas
FILE PHOTO: Immigrant children are led by staff in single file between tents at a detention facility in Tornillo, Texas  

By Julio-Cesar Chavez

EL PASO, Texas (Reuters) - The U.S. government has moved out all the migrant teens who were living in a tent city in the Texas desert and is set to close it down, according to the organization running the facility, after the shelter became a controversial symbol of President Donald Trump's crackdown on illegal immigration.

BCFS, a San Antonio-based nonprofit running the temporary shelter for the U.S. government, said on Friday that "there are no more children in Tornillo," but did not say if they had all been released to sponsors or had been moved to other facilities.

The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) had said there were more than 850 migrants being held there as recently as Jan. 6 but did not immediately respond to a request for comment on the releases.

The shelter opened on June 14 to handle the ballooning number of unaccompanied children being kept in detention. Immigration advocates raised concerns about how long minors were being held in the makeshift tents and some protesters had set up camp near the facility.

At its peak in December the sprawling field of beige colored tents housed 2,800 teenagers, mostly from Central America, who crossed the border alone.

Trump has called the increasing number of children and families crossing into the United States a humanitarian crisis. This and his assertion that immigrants and drugs are streaming across the southern border have fueled his demand for a border wall, despite statistics that show illegal crossings are at a 20-year low and that many drug shipments are likely are smuggled through legal ports of entry.

On Thursday Trump traveled to Texas to press his case for the wall, even as the government remained partly shut down in a dispute with Democrats over funding for it.

The government is legally limited in how long it can detain immigrant minors who cross the border but a policy to increase vetting of potential sponsors has lead to long delays in processing their cases, leaving some children languishing in government care for months.

As of Jan. 6 there were still approximately 11,400 unaccompanied children in HHS custody across the country, the government said.

Once minors are released, they can pursue their immigration cases while living in the United States, with many seeking to apply for asylum.

"Our goal is to close Tornillo as quickly but as safely as possible," Victoria Palmer, an HHS spokeswoman, said earlier this week.

Protesters who have been monitoring the camp said they have seen a steady outflow of infrastructure like tents. BCFS confirmed to Reuters it was working to demobilize the facility and removing shelter trailers and tents as more children leave Tornillo.

"This tent city should never have stood in the first place but it is welcome news that it will be gone," tweeted Will Hurd, a Republican U.S. congressman from Texas.


(Additional reporting by Kristina Cooke in San Francisco; Editing by Mica Rosenberg and Frances Kerry)

COMMENTS

More Related News

Saudi crown prince says to finalise $533 million privatisation deals this year: Asharq al-Awsat
Saudi crown prince says to finalise $533 million privatisation deals this year: Asharq al-Awsat

Saudi Arabia's crown prince said on Sunday that the government will finalise privatisation deals worth 2 billion riyals ($533 million) before the end of this year, according to an interview with the Saudi-owned Asharq al-Awsat newspaper. The privatisation drive is part of Vision 2030, a package of reforms led by Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman that is intended to wean the economy off oil and create jobs for young Saudis. The government's aim to attract investment into everything from education to sports, a cornerstone of its effort to trim dependence on oil revenues, has been mired by some holdups and fallout from the murder of journalist Jamal Khashoggi.

What's next for Hong Kong? Controversial extradition bill suspended, not scrapped
What's next for Hong Kong? Controversial extradition bill suspended, not scrapped

After almost a week of massive street protests, Hong Kong's chief executive said Saturday that she has suspended a controversial extradition bill.

Mass March Against Hong Kong Extradition Bill Planned for Sunday
Mass March Against Hong Kong Extradition Bill Planned for Sunday

The Civil Human Rights Front, which organized a mass demonstration that drew hundreds of thousands of people into the streets last weekend, said it had applied for police permission to stage a similar event. The government is considering options including a pause, rather than withdrawing the bill, the South China Morning Post reported, citing unidentified sources. It's highly difficult," Executive Council convener Bernard Chan said on Hong Kong's RTHK radio.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with *

Cancel reply

Comments

Top News: US

facebook
Hit "Like"
Don't miss any important news
Thanks, you don't need to show me this anymore.