Stunned by massacre, U.S. students demand tighter gun controls




  • In US
  • 2018-02-18 19:55:21Z
  • By By Zachary Fagenson and Katanga Johnson

By Zachary Fagenson and Katanga Johnson

PARKLAND, Fla. (Reuters) - Stunned by last week's bloodiest high school shooting in U.S. history, students across the country were mobilizing on Sunday for stronger gun laws, while Florida officials contemplated when to reopen their badly shaken school.

Students from Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School, where a former student is accused of murdering 17 people on Wednesday, joined others on social media to plan rallies, a Washington march and a national walk-out aimed at getting the attention of an adult population many say has failed to protect them.

"I felt like it was our time to take a stand, because, you know, we're the ones in these schools, we're the ones who are having shooters come into our classrooms and our spaces," said Lane Murdock of Ridgefield High School in Connecticut.

Murdock, a 15-old sophomore who lives 20 miles (32 km) from Sandy Hook Elementary School where 20 children and six adults were shot dead five years ago, drew more than 36,000 signatures on an online petition Sunday morning calling on students to walk out of their high schools on April 20.

Instead of going to classes, she urged her fellow students to stage protests on the 19th anniversary of the mass shootings at Columbine High School in Colorado.

Last week's massacre in Florida, which followed several other school shootings this year, inflamed the country's long-simmering debate between advocates for gun control and gun ownership.

For a graphic on Florida school shooting, click http://tmsnrt.rs/2nX8ECo

Former student Nikolas Cruz, 19, faces multiple murder charges in the deaths of 14 students and three staff members, and the wounding of more than a dozen others, in a rampage that eclipsed Columbine as the country's worst mass shooting at a high school.

The charges can bring the death penalty, but prosecutors have not yet said if they will seek capital punishment.

School officials in Broward County said on Sunday that they were aiming to have staff return to the Douglas High School campus by the end of the week. The school system's announcement did not say when classes would resume.

Cruz was reported to have been investigated by police and state officials as far back as 2016 after slashing his arm in a social media video, and saying he wanted to buy a gun. Authorities, however, determined he was receiving sufficient support, newspapers said on Saturday.

In addition, the Federal Bureau of Investigation admitted on Friday that it failed to investigate a warning that Cruz possessed a gun and the desire to kill.

President Donald Trump lashed out late on Saturday at the FBI for missing signs that could have prevented the shooting, and accused the agency on Twitter of "spending too much time trying to prove Russian collusion with the (2016) Trump campaign."

The Douglas High School students are planning a "March for Our Lives" in Washington on March 24 to call attention to school safety and ask lawmakers to enact some form of gun control.

"You know, we're marching because it's not just schools, it's movie theaters, it's concerts, it's nightclubs," student Alex Wind said on NBC's "Meet the Press." "This kind of stuff can't just happen."

A rally is set for Tallahassee, the state capital, on Wednesday, where a lawmaker is seeking a legislative opening for a ban on the sale of assault weapons, including the AR-15 that Cruz is alleged to have used.

Democratic State Senator Linda Stewart, who represents Orange County, where 49 people were massacred at the Pulse nightclub in 2016, said she needs to gain support from three Republicans, who control the state legislature, to win passage of her measure but hopes to force a vote even if it fails.

"I think that putting them on record is what needs to be done right now," said Stewart, who said she plans to meet with Douglas High School students in the capital on Tuesday night.


(Writing and additional reporting by Peter Szekely in New York; Editing by Daniel Wallis)

COMMENTS

More Related News

USC to deny students connected to cheating scheme class registration, transcripts during reviews
USC to deny students connected to cheating scheme class registration, transcripts during reviews

USC says it won't let students currently at the school who may be connected to the nation's college admissions bribery scandal to register for class.

University of Southern California says it may expel students linked to admissions cheating
University of Southern California says it may expel students linked to admissions cheating
  • US
  • 2019-03-19 12:32:43Z

The University of Southern California said it may expel students linked to the largest college-admissions cheating scandal in U.S. history after it completes a reviews of their records. The school said on Monday night that it has already "placed holds on the accounts of students who may be associated with the alleged admissions scheme," preventing them from registering for classes or acquiring transcripts. The move would affect the daughters of "Full House" actress Lori Loughlin and fashion designer Mossimo Giannulli.

College admissions scandal: What did the students know about 'the side door' and what should happen next?
College admissions scandal: What did the students know about 'the side door' and what should happen next?

No students have been charged in the sweeping college admissions scandal, which involved bribery, test doctoring and fraud. So what becomes of them?

New Zealand
New Zealand's biggest online classifieds site bans sale of semi-automatic guns

In the aftermath of the Christchurch terrorist attack, New Zealand is looking to step up on gun control.It's led to the country's biggest online marketplace, Trade Me, stopping the sale of semi-automatic firearms until it receives further instruction from the government.SEE ALSO: Facebook has removed 1.5 million videos of the New Zealand shooting, but questions remain"We have listened to public sentiment following Friday's terrorist attack in Christchurch and decided to remove all semi-automatic firearms sales and parts associated with those weapons today," Trade Me's statement reads.The company said it would aim to remove listings for semi-automatic firearms by the end of...

Should media avoid naming the gunmen in mass shootings?
Should media avoid naming the gunmen in mass shootings?

A few months after teen shooters killed 12 classmates and her father at Columbine High School, Coni Sanders was standing in line at a grocery store with her young daughter when they came face to face with the magazine cover.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with *

Cancel reply

Comments

Top News: US

facebook
Hit "Like"
Don't miss any important news
Thanks, you don't need to show me this anymore.