States sue U.S. over policy tying funds to immigration compliance




  • In US
  • 2018-07-18 20:49:37Z
  • By By Brendan Pierson

By Brendan Pierson

NEW YORK (Reuters) - New York and five other states filed a lawsuit on Wednesday seeking to block the Trump administration from making cooperation with federal immigration authorities a condition for receiving millions of dollars in federal funding for law enforcement.

The lawsuit, brought by New York, Connecticut, Massachusetts, New Jersey, Virginia and Washington, claimed that the U.S. Department of Justice had no legal authority to impose the condition.

New York City filed a similar lawsuit on Wednesday. Both lawsuits were filed in Manhattan federal court.

"Local law enforcement has the right to decide how to meet their local public safety needs, and the Trump administration simply does not have the right to require state and local police to act as federal immigration agents," New York Attorney General Barbara Underwood said in a press statement.

Wednesday's lawsuits concern the Edward Byrne Memorial Justice Assistance Grants, which provide federal funds for state and local law enforcement. They are the latest in a number of legal battles over President Donald Trump's immigration policies, which have included separating children and parents crossing the Mexican border illegally.

"Today's lawsuit is a disservice to these states' law-abiding citizens, but the Department of Justice will continue to fight for the rule of law, to protect public safety, and to keep criminal aliens off the streets," Justice Department spokesman Devin O'Malley said in a statement.

The administration said last year that to receive funding, state and local governments must give federal immigration authorities access to their jails and advance notice of immigrants' release from custody.

The six states, which received grants totaling $25 million in the last fiscal year, said they were given an Aug. 10 deadline to decide whether to accept funds with conditions.

New York City said it was entitled to $4 million but that the Justice Department has refused to release it.

A federal appeals court in Chicago in April upheld a lower court order blocking funding conditions for that city. The appeals court is expected to hear arguments in September on whether the order should or can apply nationwide.

Philadelphia won a separate challenge to the policy in June, and San Francisco, Illinois and the state of California have pending court challenges.

(Reporting By Brendan Pierson in New York; Editing by Steve Orlofsky, Toni Reinhold)

COMMENTS

More Related News

Your guide to what you can and can't expect from Robert Mueller's final report on Trump, Russia investigations
Your guide to what you can and can't expect from Robert Mueller's final report on Trump, Russia investigations

Special counsel Robert Mueller has completed his investigation into Russian interference in the 2016 election.

Mueller concludes Russia probe, delivers report to AG Barr
Mueller concludes Russia probe, delivers report to AG Barr

WASHINGTON (AP) - Special counsel Robert Mueller on Friday turned over his long-awaited final report on the contentious Russia investigation that has cast a dark shadow over Donald Trump's presidency, entangled Trump's family and resulted in criminal charges against some of the president's closest associates.

Trump intensifies effort to discredit Mueller report
Trump intensifies effort to discredit Mueller report

WASHINGTON (AP) - President Donald Trump is intensifying his efforts to discredit a highly anticipated report on the special counsel's Russia investigation.

Florida man pleads guilty to mailing bombs to Trump foes
Florida man pleads guilty to mailing bombs to Trump foes

NEW YORK (AP) - A Florida man pleaded guilty Thursday to sending pipe bombs to CNN and prominent critics of President Donald Trump in a wave of attacks that harmed no one but spread fear of political violence across the U.S. for days leading up to last fall's midterm elections.

Trump to order colleges to back free speech or lose funding
Trump to order colleges to back free speech or lose funding

President Donald Trump will sign an executive order on Thursday requiring U.S. colleges to certify that they protect free speech on their campuses or risk losing federal research funding, White House officials said.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with *

Cancel reply

Comments

Top News: US

facebook
Hit "Like"
Don't miss any important news
Thanks, you don't need to show me this anymore.