State Department orders non-essential staff to leave Iraq amid escalating tensions with Iran




 

The U.S. military put its forces in Iraq on high alert and the State Department ordered all non-emergency employees Wednesday to leave the country immediately amid escalating tensions with Iran. It comes as some U.S. allies have expressed skepticism about the Trump administration's claims that Iran poses a growing threat.

Navy Captain Bill Urban, a spokesman at the U.S. military's Central Command, said in a statement that there were "possibly imminent threats to U.S. forces in Iraq" as he sought to clarify contradictory remarks by a British commander on Tuesday.

British Maj. Gen. Chris Ghika, a senior officer in the U.S.-backed coalition fighting the Islamic State group in Iraq and Syria, said that "there's been no increased threat from Iranian-backed forces in Iraq and Syria." Ghika's remarks were later rebutted by Urban in a rare sign of how the U.S. and its close allies have split over Iran's potential threat.

The Trump administration has made applying "maximum pressure" on Iran a central tenet of its foreign policy. Trump has withdrawn the U.S. from the 2015 nuclear deal between Iran and world powers, reimposed crushing sanctions and boosted the U.S. military presence in the Persian Gulf. In recent days, unease that Washington and Tehran could be headed toward military confrontation has mounted.

Iran to Trump: You are playing 'very dangerous game,' risking 'devastating war'

In Baghdad, the U.S. Embassy published a statement Wednesday saying the State Department mandated that all non-emergency government staff leave the country after Washington last week said it detected new and urgent "credible" threats from Iran and its proxy forces in the region targeting Americans and U.S. interests.

Specific details about the intelligence have not been revealed.

But in a worrying sign, Saudi Arabia said this week that two of its oil tankers and other energy-related infrastructure were damaged in an act of "sabotage" in the Gulf. Yemen's Iran-backed Houthi rebels, who are fighting a war with Saudi Arabia, claimed responsibility for drone attacks on Saudi oil facilities on Tuesday.

Federica Mogherini, Europe's top foreign affairs diplomat, called for the U.S. to show "maximum restraint" after meeting with U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo.

Mixed messages: Varied points of view from Trump on Iran

When the U.S. pulled out of the nuclear deal in May last year, the other signatories to the accord - Britain, China, France, Germany, Russia and the EU - vowed to stay in and establish a financial mechanism that would allow them to keep trade and other ties with Iran open amid the U.S. sanctions. They have struggled to achieve that. As a result, Iran has given European countries 60 days to find a way of salvaging the agreement or threatened to start enriching uranium to far higher levels.

If nothing happens when the 60 days are up "there will be consequences from our side," Hamid Baeidinejad, Iran's ambassador to the United Kingdom, told USA TODAY and other media outlets during a briefing in Iran's embassy in London on Tuesday.

Successive U.S. administrations have viewed Iran as a regional troublemaker and described it as the "largest state sponsor of terrorism." Tehran aids a number of Shia militant groups in Iraq, Lebanon, Syria and elsewhere across the Middle East region. The Trump administration pulled out of the nuclear deal in part because of that reputation and also because the deal does not address Iran's ballistic missile activity.

"Iran is certain to continue to pursue its regional strategy, unless and until its adversaries are willing or able to blunt Iran's efforts," the authors of a new report by the The Soufan Center, a global security research center, wrote. "Rolling back Tehran's regional influence will require an equally nimble approach combining diplomacy, smart counter-terrorism policy, and a nuanced understanding of how and why Iran's soft power efforts have been successful so they may be effectively countered."

War plan?: Trump dismisses report of plan to send troops to Middle East

Like what you're reading? Download the USA TODAY app for more

This article originally appeared on USA TODAY: State Department orders non-essential staff to leave Iraq amid escalating tensions with Iran

COMMENTS

More Related News

Appeals court upholds Trump move to drop mine pollution rule
Appeals court upholds Trump move to drop mine pollution rule
  • US
  • 2019-07-19 22:54:49Z

A U.S. appeals court panel has sided with the Trump administration, ruling that state and federal programs already in place ensure that mining companies take financial responsibility for future pollution cleanups. The ruling Friday came after the administration was sued by environmental groups for dropping an Obama-era proposal that would have required the companies to prove they have resources to clean up pollution.

Brazil
Brazil's Petrobras refuses to refuel Iran ships due to US sanctions

US-listed Brazilian state oil giant Petrobras said Friday it will not refuel two Iranian vessels that have been stuck for weeks at a Brazilian port for fear of violating American sanctions. Washington has imposed a slate of sanctions on Tehran and companies with ties to the Islamic republic since President Donald Trump pulled the United States out of a landmark nuclear pact last year. The ships Bavand and Termeh, which reportedly belong to Iranian company Sapid Shipping, arrived at Paranagua port in the southern state of Parana early last month, an official at the port told AFP.

In a War, Iran Could Go After a U.S. Navy Aircraft Carrier and Win
In a War, Iran Could Go After a U.S. Navy Aircraft Carrier and Win
  • World
  • 2019-07-19 12:12:00Z

Iran would likely want to pull an American carrier battle group as close to the Iran coastline as possible. This would allow the country to disperse its fleet of ballistic missiles across a wider area and farther inland, giving them a better chance of escaping detection before launch. Recent events, particularly the downing of a U.S. Navy MQ-4 Triton by Iranian military forces, again raise the possibility of war between the United States and Iran. The on again, off again standoff between Washington and Tehran, now in its fourth decade is periodically instigated by both sides, and each time Iran grows stronger. If Iran decides to stage an attack against a larger target, such as an American...

Iran claims US shot down its own drone by mistake
Iran claims US shot down its own drone by mistake
  • World
  • 2019-07-19 08:23:33Z

Iran denied on Friday denied lost a drone in the Strait of Hormuz after President Donald Trump said that a US Navy ship had "destroyed" an Iranian drone. Abbas Araqchi, Deputy Foreign Minister, said: "We have not lost any drone in the Strait of Hormuz nor anywhere else. I am worried that USS Boxer has shot down their own UAS [Unmanned Aerial System] by mistake!."  Brigadier General Abolfazl Shekarchi, an Iranian armed forces spokesman., added: Despite Trump's baseless and delusional claims, all of (Iran's) drones... have safely returned to their bases." "There have been no reports of a confrontation with the American USS Boxer" naval vessel, he added,...

President Trump says US Navy ship destroys Iranian drone in Strait of Hormuz
President Trump says US Navy ship destroys Iranian drone in Strait of Hormuz
  • World
  • 2019-07-18 20:52:00Z

"The Boxer took defense action against the drone which had closed into a very close distance, approximately a thousand yards, ignoring multiple calls to stand down and was threatening the safety of the ship and the ship's crew," Trump said at the White House. "This is the latest of many provocative and hostile actions by Iran against vessels operating in international waters," he continued.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with *

Cancel reply

Comments

Top News: Latin America

facebook
Hit "Like"
Don't miss any important news
Thanks, you don't need to show me this anymore.