South Korea says Pompeo complained about inter-Korean military pact




FILE PHOTO: U.
FILE PHOTO: U.  

By Hyonhee Shin

SEOUL (Reuters) - U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo has expressed "discontent" with an inter-Korean military pact reached during last month's summit, South Korea's foreign minister said on Wednesday, in a rare disclosure of signs of disagreement with its U.S. ally.

The two Koreas agreed to halt military drills, set up a no-fly zone near the border and gradually remove landmines and guard posts within the Demilitarised Zone, among other steps.

The deal was sealed by South Korean President Moon Jae-in and North Korean leader Kim Jong Un during their third summit in Pyongyang on Sept. 18-20.

During an annual parliamentary audit on Wednesday, an opposition party lawmaker asked Foreign Minister Kang Kyung-wha if Pompeo had complained about the agreement during a phone call reported earlier by Japan's Nikkei newspaper.

"Yes, that's correct," Kang said in response. "I wouldn't say he made strong expressions. (It was) discontent, about how he was not briefed sufficiently, and he had a lot of questions within my knowledge."

Video: South Korea Weighs Lifting Sanctions on North Korea

Her remarks amounted to a rare confirmation of discord between Seoul and Washington, amid U.S. concerns that inter-Korean relations may be warming too fast relative to negotiations to dismantle North Korea's nuclear arms program.

While maintaining that it remains in lockstep with the United States, South Korea has forged ahead with efforts to engage with North Korea, even as critics accused Moon of naively focusing on feel-good theatrics at the expense of real progress in persuading North Korea to give up its nuclear weapons.

Kim vowed to work toward denuclearization during his unprecedented June summit with U.S. President Donald Trump. But Pyongyang's actions have since fallen short of U.S. demands for irreversible steps to scrap its arsenal, including a full disclosure of nuclear facilities and materials.

When asked by a South Korean ruling party lawmaker whether Washington felt the South was pushing ahead too rapidly with its reconciliation policy toward the North, Kang cited views regarding "adjusting the pace" of inter-Korean moves.

"I don't think the military agreement would bring significant changes in terms of readiness or operations, but they (U.S.) could complain we made far more concessions than the North did, especially ahead of the second North Korea-U.S. summit," a South Korean military source told Reuters, asking for anonymity due to the sensitivity of the matter.

"The U.S. could prefer a reciprocal approach where each side makes a concession step by step, rather than a comprehensive bargain as we did."

Kang and Pompeo spoke by phone on Sept. 17, a day before the three-day inter-Korean summit kicked off and shortly after Seoul informed Washington of the military accord, a diplomatic source told Reuters.

The Pyongyang summit was in part designed to help revive nuclear talks between the North and the United States, which were on shaky ground after Trump canceled Pompeo's visit to the North in late August, citing a lack of progress.

(Reporting by Hyonhee Shin; Editing by Mark Heinrich)

COMMENTS

More Related News

Court records reveal a Mueller report right in plain view
Court records reveal a Mueller report right in plain view

While many anticipate the conclusion of special counsel Robert Mueller's probe, legal documents have given the public a preview into his ongoing investigation.

Trump vows veto as Democrats try to block emergency order
Trump vows veto as Democrats try to block emergency order

Democrats controlling the House have teed up a vote next week to block President Donald Trump from using a national emergency declaration to fund a wall along the U.S.-Mexico border, accelerating a showdown in Congress that could divide Republicans and lead to Trump's first veto. The Democrats introduced

ISIS bride Hoda Muthana's family files lawsuit against Trump
ISIS bride Hoda Muthana's family files lawsuit against Trump

The father of a woman who traveled from her home in Alabama to marry an ISIS fighter files a lawsuit against the Trump administration to get her home.

Tucker Carlson Guest Says African Americans
Tucker Carlson Guest Says African Americans 'Need To Move On' From Slavery

A guest on Tucker Carlson's Fox News show on Thursday night said AfricanAmericans "need to move on" from slavery

Father of US-born woman who joined IS sues over citizenship
Father of US-born woman who joined IS sues over citizenship
  • World
  • 2019-02-22 03:56:26Z

The father of an Alabama woman who joined the Islamic State group in Syria sued Thursday to bring her home after the Trump administration took the extraordinary step of declaring that she was not a US citizen. Hoda Muthana, 24, says that she regrets joining the extremists and is willing to face prosecution

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with *

Cancel reply

Comments

Top News: Latin America

facebook
Hit "Like"
Don't miss any important news
Thanks, you don't need to show me this anymore.