South Korea offers talks with defiant North ahead of Olympics




  • In World
  • 2018-01-02 06:50:24Z
  • By By Christine Kim

By Christine Kim

SEOUL (Reuters) - South Korea on Tuesday offered talks with North Korea amid a standoff over its weapons programs, a day after North Korean leader Kim Jong Un said he was open to negotiations but that his country would push ahead with "mass producing" nuclear warheads.

The offer for high-level talks next Tuesday had been discussed with the United States, the South's unification minister said, while a decision on whether to push back a massive joint military drill between South Korea and the United States until after the Winter Olympics was pending.

Tension has been rising over North Korea's nuclear and missile programs, which it pursues in defiance of years of U.N. Security Council resolutions, with bellicose rhetoric coming from both Pyongyang and the White House. The North sees the regular war drills between the South and the United States as preparations for war.

"We look forward to candidly discussing interests from both sides face-to-face with North Korea along with the North's participation in the Pyeongchang Winter Olympics," Unification Minister Cho Myong-gyon told reporters.

"I repeat, the government is open to talking with North Korea, regardless of time, location and form."

Cho said he expects the dialogue at the border village of Panmunjom, if it happens, to be focused on North Korea's participation at the Olympics, but other issues would likely arise, including the denuclearization of North Korea.

Should the talks be held on Jan. 9, it would be the first such dialogue since a vice-ministerial meeting in December 2015.

The offer landed after a New Year's Day speech by Kim who said he was "open to dialogue" with Seoul, and for North Korean athletes to possibly take part in the Winter Games, but he persistently declared North Korea a nuclear power.

After welcoming Kim's address, South Korean President Moon Jae-in had asked his government earlier in the day to move as quickly as possible to bring North Korea to the Olympics.

"DEEP BREATH" NEEDED

Chun Yung-woo, a former South Korean national security adviser, said Seoul should have taken more time before answering.

"I regret the government had even lost the flexibility to spend one day or two taking a deep breath and meticulously analyzing Kim Jong Un's ulterior motive before hastily issuing a welcoming statement," he said.

"The government will have to strive more to come up with a countermeasure not to get caught in a trap set by Kim Jong Un."

Choi Moon-soon, governor of Gangwon Province where the Olympics are to be held next month, has proposed South Korea send cruise ships to bring North Korean athletes and officials to Pyeongchang, according to South Korean media.

Choi met North Korean sports official Mun Woong in China on Dec. 18 on the sidelines of a international youth football tournament where North and South Korea soccer teams competed, the Dong-A Ilbo newspaper reported.

The governor did not immediately respond to a request by Reuters for comment.

This week's exchanges follow a year dominated by fiery threats form Kim and U.S. President Donald Trump who vowed to destroy North Korea if threatened, even as U.S. diplomats pushed for a diplomatic solution.

North Korea, which regularly threatens to destroy the United States, South Korea and Japan, tested its most powerful intercontinental ballistic missile in November, which it said was capable of delivering a warhead to anywhere in the United States.

Kim said in a New Year's Day speech on Monday he would consider sending a delegation to the Olympics.

"North Korea's participation in the Winter Games will be a good opportunity to showcase the national pride and we wish the Games will be a success. Officials from the two Koreas may urgently meet to discuss the possibility," Kim said.

North Korea would focus in 2018 on "mass-producing nuclear warheads and ballistic missiles for operational deployment".

"The whole territory of the U.S. is within the range of our nuclear strike and a nuclear button is always on the desk of my office and this is just a reality, not a threat," he said, while emphasizing that the weapons would only be used if North Korea was threatened.

The U.S. State Department did not respond to a requests for comment on Kim's address, but analysts said it was an attempt to weaken the U.S.-South Korean alliance.

(Reporting by Christine Kim; Additional reporting by Jane Chung and Hyonhee Shin; Editing by Nick Macfie)

COMMENTS

More Related News

Iran rejects new deal as France vows it will never get atomic weapons
Iran rejects new deal as France vows it will never get atomic weapons
  • World
  • 2018-04-26 02:53:30Z

Iran's President Hassan Rouhani rejected any hopes of rewriting a nuclear deal with world powers Wednesday, while his French counterpart vowed to US lawmakers that everything would be done to stop Iran ever acquiring atomic weapons. In their different ways, Europe, Iran and Russia are all seeking

Trump, top Iran diplomat trade threats as US decision nears
Trump, top Iran diplomat trade threats as US decision nears
  • World
  • 2018-04-24 20:53:45Z

NEW YORK (AP) - President Donald Trump and Iran's top diplomat traded sharp warnings on Tuesday, with Trump threatening "bigger problems" than ever if Tehran restarts its nuclear program. Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif put the president on notice, telling The Associated Press if

Trump: Kim Jong Un
Trump: Kim Jong Un 'very open' and 'very honorable'

WASHINGTON (AP) - President Donald Trump on Tuesday said Kim Jong Un wants a historic, high-stakes meeting as soon as possible and suggested the North Korean dictator has been "very open" and "very honorable," a sharply different assessment of a leader he once denounced as "Little

Kim
Kim's 'bitter sorrow' as N. Korea bus crash kills 32 Chinese tourists
  • World
  • 2018-04-23 23:58:02Z

North Korean leader Kim Jong Un expressed his "bitter sorrow" after dozens of Chinese tourists were killed when a bus they were travelling in plunged off a bridge. Thirty-two Chinese tourists and four North Koreans perished in the accident south of the capital Pyongyang Sunday night, Chinese

36 dead, mostly Chinese, in North Korea traffic accident
36 dead, mostly Chinese, in North Korea traffic accident

BEIJING (AP) - A traffic accident in North Korea has killed 32 Chinese tourists and four North Koreans, Chinese officials said Monday.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with *

Cancel reply

Comments

Top News: World

facebook
Hit "Like"
Don't miss any important news
Thanks, you don't need to show me this anymore.