South Carolina white supremacist sentenced to three years on gun charge




  • In US
  • 2018-07-11 19:02:50Z
  • By Reuters

(Reuters) - An avowed white supremacist and supporter of the gunman behind the massacre at an African-American church in South Carolina in 2015 was sentenced to nearly three years in prison on Wednesday for illegally buying a gun from an undercover FBI agent.

Benjamin McDowell, 31, a convicted felon who was barred from owning a gun, received the maximum penalty from a U.S. District Court judge in South Carolina.

The FBI learned of McDowell's "escalating white supremacist views on social media," where he expressed admiration for Dylann Roof, who killed nine people in June 2015 in a shooting at a historic African-American church in Charleston, the Justice Department said in a statement.

McDowell, of Conway, South Carolina, about 100 miles north of Charleston, had established connections with a hate group known as White Supremacy Extremists during previous stints in prison, the Justice Department said.

He made comments that suggested carrying out an attack on a particular synagogue, the Justice Department said. An affidavit filed when McDowell was charged identified the house of worship as the Temple Emmanu-El in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina.

McDowell told an undercover FBI agent who was posing as a member of a white supremacist organization in 2017 about his desire to commit acts of violence against Jewish and Muslim people, the Justice Department statement said. He did not reveal a specific plan against a particular location or victim.

An FBI agent then met McDowell to sell a gun that had been made inoperative, as well as ammunition. Shortly afterward, McDowell was arrested in the parking lot of a hotel in Myrtle Beach, the Justice Department said.

McDowell pleaded guilty. After he leaves prison, he will undergo three years of supervised release, the Justice Department said.

Bill Nettles, McDowell's lawyer, said in an email that the sentence reflected his client's prior criminal history and other aggravating factors.


(Reporting by Makini Brice; Editing by Frank McGurty and Tom Brown)

COMMENTS

More Related News

US deputy attorney general
US deputy attorney general 'to step down' after Trump accuses him of treason

The US Justice Department official who once oversaw the Russia probe, Rod Rosenstein, plans to resign in mid-March, US news outlets reported. Rosenstein's departure from his post as deputy attorney general has been expected for some time. CNN on Monday quoted a department official as saying it has nothing to do with recent explosive claims by the former acting director of the FBI, Andrew McCabe. McCabe has said that Rosenstein raised the idea of wearing a wire to tape President Donald Trump and talked about removing him from office under the 25th Amendment after Trump fired FBI director James Comey in May 2017. CNN said Rosenstein has widely been expected to leave his job after Bill Barr...

Deputy Attorney General Rosenstein to step down in March: official
Deputy Attorney General Rosenstein to step down in March: official

Rosenstein had been expected to depart shortly after new Attorney General William Barr assumed office. Barr was confirmed for the role by the U.S. Senate last week. The Justice official said Rosenstein's departure was not related to renewed allegations that he considered wearing a wire in meetings with Trump and using the 25th amendment of the U.S. Constitution to remove the president from office.

Trump calls discussions about removing him "treasonous"
Trump calls discussions about removing him "treasonous"

US President Donald Trump said Monday a top Justice official's reported discussions about invoking the Constitution to remove him from office were part of an "illegal and treasonous" push against him. Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein raised the possibility of removing the president

From the 25th Amendment to Vladimir Putin: Five takeaways from Andrew McCabe's 60 Minutes interview
From the 25th Amendment to Vladimir Putin: Five takeaways from Andrew McCabe's 60 Minutes interview

McCabe recounted his final months at the FBI, from the hours after James Comey was fired to his assertion that President Donald Trump may have an "inappropriate relationship" with Russia.

Ex-FBI official:
Ex-FBI official: 'Crime may have been committed' by Trump

Former FBI Deputy Director Andrew McCabe said in an interview that aired Sunday that a "crime may have been committed" when President Donald Trump fired the head of the FBI and tried to publicly undermine an investigation into his campaign's ties to Russia. McCabe also said in the interview

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with *

Cancel reply

Comments

Top News: US

facebook
Hit "Like"
Don't miss any important news
Thanks, you don't need to show me this anymore.