South Africa sex crime: Authorities charge seven over gang rape




  • In World
  • 2022-08-10 14:46:05Z
  • By BBC
Women
Women's rights protesters in South Africa  

South African authorities have charged seven men with 32 counts of rape after a mass assault at an abandoned mine near Johannesburg.

A group of eight women were attacked while filming a music video at the mine near the town of Krugersdorp last month.

Officials say they are illegal miners who dig for gold in disused shafts.

The men were among more than 60 suspects who appeared in court on immigration and firearms charges.

All are believed to be illegal migrants to South Africa. However, they are now expected to be tried separately due to the severity of their offences.

The suspects were identified by the women during a police line-up after the attacks.

But officers say the number of people charged could rise as DNA tests are concluded, as many of the men involved were wearing balaclavas when they attacked the crew which concealed their identities.

Outside the court, protesters from civil society groups and several political parties gathered to demand that the men are denied bail.

The assaults sparked outrage in South Africa and has seen some urge authorities to do more to tackle a spate of violence against women.

Elsewhere, the connection between the assaults and migration has seen angry mobs seeking to track down foreign miners and torch their homes in retaliation.

Earlier this week, three of the rape survivors told the BBC of their ordeal, which left them traumatised and in fear for their lives.

  • The South Africans driving foreigners out of town

President Cyril Ramaphosa had appealed for help in bringing the attackers to justice during a national address earlier this month.

"These horrible acts of brutality are an affront to the right of women and girls to live and work in freedom and safety," Mr Ramaphosa told South Africans. ""We call upon communities to work with the police to ensure that these criminals are apprehended and prosecuted."

And South Africa's Minister for Women Maite Nkoana-Mashabane said the attacks had given rise to a "moment of crisis" and urged the country to "defend the democratic gains" that women have achieved.

Three years ago Mr Ramaphosa declared gender-based violence a national crisis, and in light of the recent gang rape, activists want a state of emergency declared so that rape and gender-based crimes are prioritised for swift prosecution.

And a call for rapists to be chemically castrated was made at the governing African National Congress's policy conference in response to the latest attack.

COMMENTS

More Related News

How protests in Iran over Mahsa Amini
How protests in Iran over Mahsa Amini's death 'forever moved the debate' over women's rights

Mahsa Amini's death in police custody sparked a remarkable moment of defiance by Iranian women and men. What does it mean for women's rights in Iran?

The surprising violence in multicultural Leicester
The surprising violence in multicultural Leicester

Recent unrest between Hindu and Muslim men has raised difficult questions for the city.

"I Was Never So Happy To Leave A Job In My Life": 22 Horrible Managers Whose "Motivation" Methods Only Motivated People To Quit
"I Was Never So Happy To Leave A Job In My Life": 22 Horrible Managers Whose "Motivation" Methods Only Motivated People To Quit

"It got so bad that I had several panic attacks at work. She gave me a cookie from her lunch and told me to 'buck up.'"View Entire Post ›

Oxfordshire teen arrested in police hacking investigation
Oxfordshire teen arrested in police hacking investigation
  • US
  • 2022-09-23 12:49:32Z

The National Cyber Crime Unit detained a 17-year-old from Oxfordshire on Thursday evening.

Africa
Africa's week in pictures: 16 - 22 September 2022
  • World
  • 2022-09-22 23:18:29Z

A selection of the best photos from across Africa and beyond this week.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with *

Cancel reply

Comments

Top News: World