Soccer-Roma pull out of ICC over "unforeseen" Europa League involvement




  • In US
  • 2019-06-12 20:03:56Z
  • By Reuters

ROME, June 12 (Reuters) - AS Roma have pulled out of this year's International Champions Cup (ICC) pre-season tournament because of their "unforeseen involvement" in the early rounds of Europa League qualifying, the Serie A club said on Wednesday.

Roma's sixth-place finish in Serie A last season meant they missed out on the Champions League and must now take part in the second round of the Europa League qualifiers, which start on July 25 and clash with the ICC.

They had been due to play three games in the United States, against Guadalajara, Arsenal and Benfica. Roma said Fiorentina would take their place.

"We looked at every available option in order to avoid withdrawing, however, in the end the decision had to be made in light of next season's commitments," said Roma's chief executive Guido Fienga.

The ICC, a pre-season friendly tournament organised by U.S.-based Relevent Sports, will feature 12 clubs this season with matches to be played in the United States, Singapore, China, England, Wales and Sweden.

Gazzetta dello Sport said Roma's absence would cost them $2 million.

Roma coach Paulo Fonseca, appointed on Wednesday, said that the early start would be difficult.

"We might have just four weeks of pre-season before the first game. So I think we will have to adapt our ideas very, very quickly," said the Portuguese, previously in charge of Shakhtar Donetsk.

"I am sure that we will build a team that the supporters can be proud of," he added. "A courageous team, an ambitious team. And if you have these ingredients then you will have a better chance of winning."

"I believe that a lot of the players have the quality to play the courageous, ambitious, attacking game that I want to implement. A style where we dominate the opponent."

Fonseca said he had fulfilled a dream by coaching Roma. "I am very ambitious and it was one of the main goals in my career to eventually coach one of the biggest teams in Europe," he said. (Reporting by Brian Homewood Editing by Toby Davis)

COMMENTS

More Related News

Excluded Totti resigns as Roma director
Excluded Totti resigns as Roma director

Roma legend Francesco Totti, who played for the capital club for 24 years before retiring in 2017, announced Monday that he was resigning as director. "At 12:41pm on June 17, 2019, I sent an email... which was for me unimaginable: I handed in my resignation," Totti said. The 42-year-old World

Sarri takes charge at Juventus after leaving Chelsea
Sarri takes charge at Juventus after leaving Chelsea

Maurizio Sarri was named new coach of Juventus on Sunday after his exit from Chelsea following a troubled single campaign in London. Sarri, 60, returns to Italy on a three-year deal just a season after leaving Napoli for Stamford Bridge, where he failed to garner fan support despite winning the Europa

Juve, Chelsea announce Sarri agreement
Juve, Chelsea announce Sarri agreement

If it took Sarri some time to understand the personality of Eden Hazard, just wait until he gets a load of Cristiano Ronaldo.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with *

Cancel reply

Comments

Top News: US

facebook
Hit "Like"
Don't miss any important news
Thanks, you don't need to show me this anymore.