Senior U.S. official: Russia in compliance with New START weapons treaty




  • In US
  • 2019-12-03 15:55:48Z
  • By Reuters
Senior U.S. official: Russia in compliance with New START weapons treaty
Senior U.S. official: Russia in compliance with New START weapons treaty  

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - A top U.S. State Department official said on Tuesday that Russia remains in compliance with its obligations under the New START weapons control treaty, but took a hard line on overall weapons policy by saying Moscow is not complying with most other arms control obligations.

"We assess that Russia does still remain in compliance with its New START obligations, but its behavior in connection with most other arms control agreements - and not merely the ill-fated INF Treaty - has been nothing short of appalling," Christopher Ford, assistant secretary of state for nonproliferation, told a U.S. Senate Foreign Relations Committee hearing.

President Donald Trump in August pulled Washington out of the Intermediate-Range Nuclear Forces Treaty (INF), another landmark strategic arms accord, citing violations by Russia that Moscow denies.

Ford said Russia's non-strategic arms need to be a priority in any future weapons agreement. "Russia is projected to expand its number of non-strategic weapons considerably over the next decade," Ford said.

Russia has formally proposed to the United States that the two nuclear superpowers extend their New START arms control treaty by five years, though Moscow would also settle for a shorter extension.

The New START accord, which is due to expire in February 2021, is the last major nuclear arms control treaty between Moscow and Washington. It limits the number of strategic nuclear warheads they can deploy to 1,550 each.

Russia warned last month that there was already not enough time left for Moscow and Washington to negotiate a full-fledged replacement to the treaty and that time was running out to agree on an extension.

Trump told Russian President Vladimir Putin in 2017 he thought the New START accord was a bad deal for the United States. U.S. officials have said he will only decide next year whether or not to extend the treaty.



(Reporting by Patricia Zengerle; Editing by Andrea Ricci)

COMMENTS

More Related News

Supreme Court says President Trump cannot keep tax, financial records from prosecutors
Supreme Court says President Trump cannot keep tax, financial records from prosecutors

Manhattan DA Cyrus Vance called the ruling a "tremendous victory" and emphasized he will follow the law and the facts "wherever they may lead."

Supreme Court deals Trump a defeat, upholds demand for his tax returns
Supreme Court deals Trump a defeat, upholds demand for his tax returns

President Trump claimed he had immunity from subpoenas requiring his accountants to turn over his financial records to Congress and a grand jury.

Some Republicans Have Grown Wary of Protests, Poll Shows
Some Republicans Have Grown Wary of Protests, Poll Shows

Most Americans continue to support the nationwide protests against racial injustice, but with President Donald Trump issuing an ever-more-combative barrage of attacks, new polling shows that some Republicans have grown wary of demonstrators' demands and retreated toward saying that racism is not in fact a big problem in the United States.At the start of June, many polls showed the emergence of a rare consensus around calls for racial justice and changes to policing, with a majority of Republicans joining other Americans in saying that racial discrimination is a big issue for the country.But a Monmouth University survey released Wednesday found that at the end of last month, just 40% of...

Kellyanne Conway
Kellyanne Conway's 'Creepy' Comments Get Turned Against Trump In Biting New Ad

New spot from progressive group MeidasTouch turns an attack on Biden back at Trump.

In win for Trump, Supreme Court allows plan for religious limits to Obamacare contraceptive coverage
In win for Trump, Supreme Court allows plan for religious limits to Obamacare contraceptive coverage

The ruling is a victory for the Trump administration's plan to expand who can cite religious or moral objections in declining to include contraceptives in health care plans.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with *

Cancel reply

Comments

Top News: US