Saudi Crown Prince Ordered Effort To Bring Jamal Khashoggi Back To Saudi Arabia: Report




 

Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman personally ordered an effort to lure Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi back to his home country, according to U.S. intelligence documents described to The Washington Post on Wednesday.

The report adds new detail to Khashoggi's disappearance, directly implicating the crown prince, who is notably close to President Donald Trump's son-in-law Jared Kushner.

Turkish authorities said they believed that Khashoggi, a former insider who grew increasingly critical of the Saudi royal family, was killed inside the Saudi consulate in Istanbul last week and his body removed from the premises.

There was a detailed plan to entice Khashoggi back to Saudi Arabia, according to the Post, which cites intelligence documents outlined by U.S. officials. Crown Prince Mohammed reportedly offered Khashoggi government protection and a high-level job if he returned to the country, an offer the journalist was deeply skeptical of.

"He said: 'Are you kidding? I don't trust them one bit,'" Khaled Saffuri, who spoke with Khashoggi in May, recounted to the Post.

Officials in multiple countries said that if Khashoggi was killed inside the consulate last week, it may have been because a plan to capture the man went awry, the Post reported.

Saudi Arabia has denied any involvement in Khashoggi's disappearance and said he left the consulate shortly after he entered last Tuesday. The only available CCTV footage appears to show him entering the building but not leaving.

On Tuesday, The New York Times first reported that Turkish officials believed Khashoggi was assassinated under orders from senior members of the Saudi royal court. Those unnamed officials said they believed the operation was carried out by a squad of 15 people flown into Turkey on two charter flights ― something that could only have been ordered by the country's leadership due to its complexity and risk.

Turkish officials said the event reminded them of the film "Pulp Fiction," and said one of the men wielded a bone saw they suspect was used to dismember the journalist's body.

The Post later said the team reportedly laid in wait for Khashoggi to enter the building.

COMMENTS

More Related News

Pompeo meets Saudi rulers on Iran crisis
Pompeo meets Saudi rulers on Iran crisis

US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo met Monday with Saudi Arabia's rulers as he sought to coordinate with allies over soaring tensions with Iran. On a day trip scheduled after Iran shot down a US drone, Pompeo flew into the Red Sea city of Jeddah and met with King Salman at his palace.

Iran: US botched retaliatory cyberattack, will see 'crushing response' to drone flights
Iran: US botched retaliatory cyberattack, will see 'crushing response' to drone flights

Secretary of State Mike Pompeo arrived in Saudi Arabia for talks ahead of a planned announcement of new economic sanctions targeting Iran.

Palestinians rally against Kushner
Palestinians rally against Kushner's economic peace plan

GAZA/RAMALLAH (Reuters) - Palestinians burned portraits of President Donald Trump as they protested in both the Gaza Strip and the Israeli-occupied West Bank on Monday against U.S.-led plans for a conference on their economy in Bahrain. Many Palestinian business groups have said they will boycott the June 25-26 event, billed as part of Washington's long-awaited Israeli-Palestinian peace plan and spearheaded by Trump's adviser and son-in-law Jared Kushner. "Down with Bahrain, down with Trump, down with the Manama conference," chanted crowds in Gaza, which is ruled by the armed Islamist group Hamas.

Pompeo in Saudi Arabia, Iran threatens more US drone attacks
Pompeo in Saudi Arabia, Iran threatens more US drone attacks
  • World
  • 2019-06-24 12:03:23Z

U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo held talks Monday with the Saudi king and crown prince after days of mounting tensions following the downing of a U.S drone last week and after President Donald Trump pulled back from the brink of retaliatory military strikes on Iran. Iran's naval commander, meanwhile

The Latest: Iran envoy to Japan seeks support over US crisis
The Latest: Iran envoy to Japan seeks support over US crisis

Morteza Rahmani Movahed said on Monday in Tokyo that Iran faces alleged U.S. "economic terrorism" and suspected sabotage attempts in the Persian Gulf. President Donald Trump last year withdrew from Iran's 2015 nuclear deal with world powers and has imposed sanctions.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with *

Cancel reply

Comments

Top News: Latin America

facebook
Hit "Like"
Don't miss any important news
Thanks, you don't need to show me this anymore.