Report: Cowboys giving Aldon Smith a second chance




  • In Sports/Football
  • 2020-04-02 01:13:18Z
  • By ProFootball Talk on NBC Sports
 

Aldon Smith hasn't played since 2015, but the Cowboys are rolling the dice the pass rusher still can play.

Smith has reached agreement with the Cowboys, Jay Glazer of Fox Sports reports. It's a one-year deal with a $2 million base value and $2 million in sack incentives, according to Mike Garafolo of NFL Media.

"Clean and sober now, incredible how much he's turned his life around," Glazer said on Wednesday night's Fox Football Now.

Cowboys owner Jerry Jones has given second chances to plenty of players, including Alonzo Spellman, Dimitrius Underwood, Greg Hardy, Rolando McClain and Randy Gregory, with mixed results. Smith will become the latest.

He has served multiple suspensions under both the substance-abuse policy and the Personal Conduct Policy. Smith's latest suspension arose from an alleged hit-and-run, DUI and vandalism incident in 2015.

A report from NFL Media last month indicated Smith was in the process of applying for reinstatement.

The new CBA relaxes the substance-abuse policy. However, it does not change the procedures for reinstatement, leaving the decision within the sole discretion of Commissioner Roger Goodell with no timeline.

The Cowboys are in need of depth at defensive end, though Tyrone Crawford will return from hip surgery and Gregory could get reinstated by Goodell.

Smith, 30, was as good as anyone at rushing the passer in his first two seasons after the 49ers made him the seventh overall choice in the 2011 draft. He had 33.5 sacks in his first 32 games and 42 in his first 43.

The 49ers cut Smith during the 2014 season, his fourth in the league. Smith joined the Raiders the following year. His most recent suspension happened during the 2015 season, his first and only in Oakland.

Report: Cowboys giving Aldon Smith a second chance originally appeared on Pro Football Talk

COMMENTS

More Related News

Bouye reveals which Broncos
Bouye reveals which Broncos' WR he's most excited to practice against

Denver Broncos cornerback A.J. Bouye reveals which Broncos wide receiver he's most excited to practice against. This game is streaming live on the Yahoo Sports mobile app, or on NFL Network

Dolphins Roster Reset: Will Tua supplant Fitz as starting QB in Miami?
Dolphins Roster Reset: Will Tua supplant Fitz as starting QB in Miami?

NFL Network's Mike Giardi discusses how Miami Dolphins offensive coordinator Chan Gailey can help quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick, rookie Tua Tagovailoa in 2020. This game is streaming live on the Yahoo Sports mobile app, or on NFL Network

Art Rooney II calls fourth-and-15 idea "too much of a gimmick"
Art Rooney II calls fourth-and-15 idea "too much of a gimmick"

The league is not expected to revisit an alternative to the onside kick before the 2020 season. Teams were split Thursday on a proposal for the fourth-and-15 replacement of the onside kick. Owners didn't take an official vote after a straw poll produced a 16-16 tie, Mike Garafolo of NFL Media reports. Thus, the proposal [more]

Rapoport: Owners were split 16-16 voting on fourth-and-15 onside proposal
Rapoport: Owners were split 16-16 voting on fourth-and-15 onside proposal

NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reports that owners were split 16-16 voting on fourth-and-15 proposal. This game is streaming live on the Yahoo Sports mobile app, or on NFL Network

Blake Jarwin: I have to prove I deserve what Cowboys gave me
Blake Jarwin: I have to prove I deserve what Cowboys gave me

Jason Witten is no longer a member of the Cowboys, but he's still available for the player set to replace him as the team's starting tight end. Blake Jarwin said Witten reached out to him recently to talk about the "awesome opportunity" that's in front of him this season. Jarwin said that Witten said he [more]

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with *

Cancel reply

Comments

Top News: Football