Rebels reach north Syria after south evacuations




  • In World
  • 2018-07-21 14:53:02Z
  • By AFP

Morek (Syrie) (AFP) - Hundreds of rebel fighters and their families arrived Saturday in northwestern Syria after their evacuation from a southern province under a deal with the regime, an AFP correspondent said.

Air strikes by regime ally Russia, meanwhile, on a southern jihadist holdout killed six civilians, a Britain-based monitor said.

The evacuations from Quneitra province, which borders the Israeli-annexed Golan Heights, came after a Russia-brokered agreement struck earlier this week for rebels to cede the territory to the Syrian regime.

Rebel elements who opposed the territorial handover were given the option to leave.

On Saturday afternoon, state news agency SANA said preparations were underway to ferry a second wave of people from Quneitra to the north of Syria.

In the morning, a first wave of around 50 buses carrying opposition fighters and their families reached the Morek crossing on the edge of northwestern rebel-held Idlib province, an AFP correspondent at the scene said.

Near the parked buses in Morek, a woman and five children waited by a cluster of small suitcases, the eldest among them carrying bottles of water and a blanket.

Men with light weapons slung on their backs shared a bite to eat and some water as they stood around waiting. Several wore scarves wrapped around their faces.

The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights monitor said the first convoy to reach Morek transported around 2,800 people.

They were to be transferred to other buses run by local NGOs, before travelling further north to temporary camps in rebel-held areas in Idlib and Aleppo provinces, the Britain-based monitor said.

"More than half of the evacuees are women and children," Observatory head Rami Abdel Rahman said.

- 'Six dead' in air strikes -

The evacuations follow a deadly regime offensive on Quneitra, a thin, crescent-shaped province that lies along the buffer zone with the Israel-occupied Golan to the west.

The Russia-negotiated rebel surrender also saw fighters hand over heavy and medium weapons and the return of government institutions to the area.

Syrian forces launched their southern offensive on June 19, targeting the province of Daraa on the border with Jordan, before turning their attention to neighbouring Quneitra.

With a mix of military power and negotiated surrenders, President Bashar al-Assad's troops this month captured more than 90 percent of Daraa, where protests against him first erupted in 2011.

Regime forces backed by Russia have continued their campaign in Daraa, aiming to retake areas still controlled by Islamic State group jihadists, which are not party to the Russia-backed withdrawal deals.

On Saturday, Russian air strikes killed six civilians in that IS-held pocket, the Observatory said.

The deadly raids came just a day after strikes in the same area took the lives of 26 non-combatants including 11 children.

On Saturday, clashes between loyalists and jihadists in the area also killed 13 regime fighters, including eight in a car bombing.

Syria's conflict has killed more than 350,000 people and displaced millions since it began in 2011 with a brutal government crackdown on protesters.

COMMENTS

More Related News

US-backed Syrian force declares victory over Islamic State
US-backed Syrian force declares victory over Islamic State

BAGHOUZ, Syria (AP) - U.S.-backed forces in Syria announced Saturday they have liberated the last area held by the Islamic State in the eastern Syrian village of Baghouz, declaring victory over the extremist group and the end of its self-declared Islamic caliphate.

Mueller submits Trump-Russia inquiry report to U.S. attorney general
Mueller submits Trump-Russia inquiry report to U.S. attorney general
  • US
  • 2019-03-22 21:53:45Z

Mueller submitted the report to Attorney General William Barr, the top U.S. law enforcement official, the department said. The report was not immediately made public - Barr will have to decide how much to disclose - and it was not known if Mueller found criminal conduct by Trump or his campaign, beyond the charges already brought against several aides. Mueller, a former FBI director, had been examining since 2017 whether Trump's campaign conspired with Moscow to try to influence the election and whether the Republican president later unlawfully tried to obstruct his investigation.

Mueller concludes Russia probe, delivers report to AG Barr
Mueller concludes Russia probe, delivers report to AG Barr

WASHINGTON (AP) - Special counsel Robert Mueller on Friday turned over his long-awaited final report on the contentious Russia investigation that has cast a dark shadow over Donald Trump's presidency, entangled Trump's family and resulted in criminal charges against some of the president's closest associates.

Druze on Golan Heights reject Trump backing for Israeli sovereignty
Druze on Golan Heights reject Trump backing for Israeli sovereignty

The fertile hillsides of the Israeli-occupied Golan are scattered with villages inhabited by 22,000 Druze, an Arab minority who practice an offshoot of Islam. Many still have relatives on the Syrian side of the fortified boundary. In Majdal Shams, older residents remember being part of Syria before Israel captured most of the heights in the 1967 Middle East war, occupying and later annexing it in 1981.

Analysis: Victory over Islamic State may be short-lived
Analysis: Victory over Islamic State may be short-lived

WASHINGTON (AP) - In a campaign that spanned five years and two U.S. presidencies, unleashed more than 100,000 bombs and killed untold numbers of civilians, the U.S. military engineered the destruction of the Islamic State group's self-proclaimed empire in Iraq and Syria.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with *

Cancel reply

Comments

Top News: World

facebook
Hit "Like"
Don't miss any important news
Thanks, you don't need to show me this anymore.