Real Salt Lake announces pay cuts, layoffs as virus bites




Real Salt Lake of Major League Soccer said Tuesday it would lay off staff and reduce pay for employees due to the league
Real Salt Lake of Major League Soccer said Tuesday it would lay off staff and reduce pay for employees due to the league's shutdown for the coronavirus pandemic  

Los Angeles (AFP) - Major League Soccer side Real Salt Lake said Tuesday it was laying off staff and reducing pay for employees across the club as it adjusts to the league shutdown forced by the coronavirus pandemic.

A statement from the Utah outfit said the "distressing" action had been taken after the club discovered it would not benefit from US government aid to help businesses hit by the COVID-19 crisis.

"As a result, we are forced to adapt and align our workforce appropriately to face these new challenges and difficult circumstances," Real Salt Lake said in a statement.

"This will require a reduction in salary for all executives and staff as well as a decrease in staffing levels across the organization, which includes a furlough of some of our staff members.

"This is obviously a distressing outcome as we deeply value and appreciate each of our employees."

The club said it planned to re-hire staff as soon as MLS resumes play.

MLS chiefs have said the league will not restart before May 10 and have pushed back the MLS Cup season finale to December.

MLS shut down last month after only two rounds of the 2020 season as the pandemic swept across the United States.

Sport in the US has ground to a standstill in the past month, with all major professional leagues halted and dozens of events cancelled or postponed.

COMMENTS

More Related News

FC Cincinnati
FC Cincinnati's Stam laughs off unveiling photo gaffe

The team announced his hiring Thursday on a tweet that mistakenly featured the photo of look-alike Tinus van Teanenbroek, an Ajax youth coach.

MLS outlines plans for 26-team Orlando event: reports
MLS outlines plans for 26-team Orlando event: reports

Major League Soccer has outlined plans for a 26-team tournament in Orlando to resume matches after the coronavoirus pandemic halted its season in March, according to multiple reports. MLS would put its clubs into three groups of six teams and another of eight for the event at ESPN's Wide World of Sports complex at Florida's Disney World, according to ESPN and The Athletic website. MLS sent teams a plan including safety protocols, delegation limits of 45-47 people per club and a format that would send the two top squads from each group into an eight-team tournament knockout round.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with *

Cancel reply

Comments

Top News: Soccer