Prosecutors seek additional indictment against Harvey Weinstein




  • In US
  • 2019-08-17 02:28:00Z
  • By ABC News
 

Prosecutors seek additional indictment against Harvey Weinstein originally appeared on abcnews.go.com

The Manhattan District Attorney's office has presented the criminal case against Harvey Weinstein to a grand jury for a second time to include testimony from a one-time Sopranos actress, new court filings show.

Prosecutors are hoping the grand jury returns a new indictment against the disgraced film producer based, in part, on the accounts of Annabella Sciorra, the actress who has claimed Weinstein raped her in 1993.

(MORE: Harvey Weinstein agrees to settlement with accusers worth $44 million)

Sciorra made public claims against Weinstein in the media but only came forward to the Manhattan District Attorney's office in the months after the original indictment was returned, sources familiar with the case told ABC News. As a result a judge declined to allow her to testify at trial.

"We do believe that the trial jury should have the benefit of hearing the testimony of the remaining witness and therefore we will cure the deficiency by re-presenting the case to a new grand jury," the prosecutor's filing said.

(MORE: Harvey Weinstein's ex-lawyer loses position at Harvard despite bowing out of case)

The grand jury would indict Weinstein on the same five charges he currently faces but would take into account Sciorra's testimony, which would allow prosecutors to call her as a witness to bolster their case at trial. Her allegation is outside the statute of limitations that was in effect at the time.

Weinstein's trial is currently scheduled to begin Sept. 9. The grand jury decision on a new indictment may not come until Aug. 26 and it's possible there will be a delay.

(MORE: Weinstein now scheduled to stand trial for rape, sexual assault in September)

Despite defense objections, Judge James Burke has allowed women like Sciorra to testify at trial even though their accounts are not part of the charges, a letter from the district attorney's office revealed publicly for the first time. A similar decision doomed Bill Cosby.

"We also appreciate the significant Molineux decision by the Court, allowing the People to call additional witnesses," the letter said, referring to the landmark 1901 Molineux ruling that allows prosecutors to introduce evidence of previous crimes at a defendant's trial.

The identities of the additional accusers who would be called to testify at trial have not been made public.

COMMENTS

More Related News

Harvey Weinstein Trial: Accuser
Harvey Weinstein Trial: Accuser's Ex-Roommate Says She Was Told About Alleged Rape in 2006

Harvey Weinstein's rape trial in New York continued Tuesday with the former roommate of one of the ex-movie mogul's accusers corroborating details of Weinstein's alleged 2006 sexual assault. Elizabeth Entin, who was Miriam Haley's roommate at the time Haley alleged she was sexually assaulted by Weinstein, testified that Haley, a former assistant on "Project Runway," […]

Mimi Haleyi details sexual assault allegation in Harvey Weinstein trial testimony
Mimi Haleyi details sexual assault allegation in Harvey Weinstein trial testimony
  • US
  • 2020-01-28 01:17:00Z

One of two women that Harvey Weinstein is on trial for sexually assaulting took the witness stand on Monday to describe how the Hollywood producer violently sexually assaulted her and explain why she returned to him within a month and endured a second unwanted sexual encounter. Miriam "Mimi" Haleyi is the second of six women expected to testify that the disgraced Hollywood mega-producer sexually assaulted them, following dramatic testimony last week from 'Sopranos' actress Annabella Sciorra. Weinstein is charged with performing a forcible sex act on Haleyi in 2006 and with raping an unnamed accuser in a Manhattan hotel room in 2013.

Accuser says Weinstein sexually assaulted her in children
Accuser says Weinstein sexually assaulted her in children's bedroom

One of Harvey Weinstein's main accusers told his rape trial Monday that the ex-Hollywood producer forcibly performed oral sex on her in a children's bedroom in his New York home. Mimi Haleyi -- a former production assistant -- cried as she told the Manhattan court that Weinstein, 67, sexually assaulted her in July 2006 while she was on her period.

Former production assistant testifies Harvey Weinstein sexually assaulted her:
Former production assistant testifies Harvey Weinstein sexually assaulted her: 'I was in such shock'
  • US
  • 2020-01-27 17:43:00Z

Former production assistant Mimi Haleyi took the stand Monday as the second Harvey Weinstein accuser to testify in his rape trial, telling the jury he sexually assaulted her in 2006.Haleyi, who worked as a production assistant on the Weinstein Company-produced Project Runway, alleges Weinstein forcibly

'I'm being raped': Weinstein accuser details alleged assault

Haleyi was the first to testify of the two women whose allegations led to Weinstein's New York City criminal case. Haleyi, now 42, told jurors she thought, "I'm being raped," and wondered "If I scream rape, will someone hear me?" She said she told Weinstein she was menstruating in an attempt to deter him, but that didn't stop him. Haleyi said she "just felt like an idiot" for letting Weinstein convince her to meet again, but thought seeing him could help her regain power as she tried to make sense of the alleged assault.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with *

Cancel reply

Comments

Top News: US