Pompeo condemns Cuban accusations against top U.S. diplomat in Havana




  • In US
  • 2019-11-22 23:19:19Z
  • By Reuters
FILE PHOTO: NATO foreign ministers meeting in Brussels
FILE PHOTO: NATO foreign ministers meeting in Brussels  

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo on Friday condemned accusations by Cuba's government against Washington's top diplomat in Havana, which he said were made to distract attention from its "abysmal treatment of the Cuban people."

Communist-run Cuba accused the U.S. embassy in Havana on Wednesday of having fomented the "counterrevolutionary" activity of leading dissident Jose Daniel Ferrer, whom it arrested nearly two months ago.

The U.S. embassy last week posted on Twitter a video of Charge d'Affaires Mara Tekach with Nelva Ismarays Ortega, partner of Ferrer, leader of Patriotic Union of Cuba (UNPACU), the country's most active opposition organization. Together they pleaded for his release.

The U.S. government "strongly condemns" the accusations against Tekach, Pompeo said in a statement.

"The regime has launched these baseless allegations against her in an attempt to distract the international community from its abysmal treatment of the Cuban people, especially the ongoing arbitrary detention of dissident Jose Daniel Ferrer," Pompeo said.

The Trump administration, which has tightened the decades-old U.S. trade embargo on Cuba in a renewed attempt to force the one party system to reform, has been campaigning vociferously for Ferrer's release.

In the video posted on Twitter, Ortega said Ferrer had been beaten and left without medicine after his arrest.

In an editorial this week, Cuban Communist Party newspaper Granma said allegations that Ferrer had been mistreated were lies cooked up by the U.S. embassy.

"The United States has, and will continue to, openly and transparently express our grave concerns about the treatment and condition of human rights defenders in Cuba," Pompeo said.


(Reporting by Matt Spetalnick; Writing by Mohammad Zargham; Editing by Daniel Wallis)

COMMENTS

More Related News

Ban or no ban, Facebook wins in U.S. threats against TikTok
Ban or no ban, Facebook wins in U.S. threats against TikTok

On Tuesday, U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said that the U.S. is "looking at" banning Chinese social media apps, including the Chinese-owned company TikTok, comparing it to other Chinese companies like Huawei and ZTE that have been deemed national security threats by the current administration. "With respect to Chinese apps on people's cell phones, I can assure you that the United States will get this one right, too," Pompeo said. The fear is the app could be used to surveil or influence Americans, or else that TikTok parent ByteDance could be made to provide the Chinese government with TikTok's data on its U.S.-based users -- of which there are at least 165 million.

US sanctions Chinese officials over Xinjiang
US sanctions Chinese officials over Xinjiang 'violations'

China is accused of mass detentions and religious persecution of the Uighur Muslims.

US sanctions Chinese officials over repression of minorities
US sanctions Chinese officials over repression of minorities
  • World
  • 2020-07-09 16:02:07Z

The United States on Thursday imposed sanctions on three senior officials of the Chinese Communist Party, including a member of the ruling Politburo, for alleged human rights abuses targeting ethnic and religious minorities that China has detained in the western part of the country. The decision to bar these senior officials from entering the U.S. is the latest of a series of actions the Trump administration has taken against China as relations deteriorate over the coronavirus pandemic, human rights, Hong Kong and trade. "The United States will not stand idly by as the Chinese Communist Party carries out human rights abuses targeting Uighurs, ethnic Kazakhs and members of other minority...

Pompeo hints at Iran links in killing of Iraq expert
Pompeo hints at Iran links in killing of Iraq expert
  • World
  • 2020-07-08 15:30:41Z

US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo on Wednesday demanded justice over the killing of a prominent Iraqi jihadism expert and highlighted threats against him by Iran-linked groups. Hisham al-Hashemi, an internationally known scholar whose vast contacts inside Iraq made him a mediator among rivals, was gunned down outside his Baghdad home late Monday by masked assailants on motorcycles. "In the days leading up to his death he was repeatedly threatened by Iran backed armed groups," Pompeo told a news conference in Washington, without explicitly blaming Tehran.

Trump Says He
Trump Says He's Considering a Ban on TikTok in the U.S.

(Bloomberg) -- President Donald Trump said his administration is considering banning the short video app TikTok in the U.S. as one possible way to retaliate against China over its handling of the coronavirus.Trump's comments on Tuesday came one day after Secretary of State Michael Pompeo said officials

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with *

Cancel reply

Comments

Top News: US