Police have 'potential suspects' in alleged attack on 'Empire' actor




  • In US
  • 2019-02-15 18:13:59Z
  • By By Gabriella Borter

By Gabriella Borter

(Reuters) - Two men being questioned in connection with an alleged racist and homophobic assault on "Empire" actor Jussie Smollett in Chicago are potential suspects in the alleged crime, the city's police department said on Friday.

Authorities had previously said only that the pair, whose names have not been released, were persons of interest after they were recognized from surveillance camera footage taken in the area where Smollett said two men shouted slurs at him and put a rope around his neck on Jan. 29.

"Detectives have probable cause that they may have been involved in an alleged crime and we are working to corroborate the allegations and investigative timeline as our investigation continues," police spokesman Anthony Guglielmi said in a statement.

He has denied a media report on Thursday that said officers were investigating whether Smollett staged the attack because he was being written out of the television show.

"While we haven't found any video documenting the alleged attack, there is no evidence to say that this is a hoax. The alleged victim is being cooperative at this time and continues to be treated as a victim, not a suspect," Guglielmi said on Friday.

News of the alleged attack on Smollett, a 36-year-old openly gay African-American who plays a gay character on the hip-hop drama "Empire," caused uproar on social media, but some have doubted Smollett's account.

In an interview with "Good Morning America" that aired on Thursday, Smollett said he was angry that some people questioned his story, and he suggested the disbelief might come from racial bias.

The two men questioned by police know Smollett from working on "Empire" and were picked up at Chicago O'Hare International Airport on Wednesday after returning from Nigeria where they were visiting family, their lawyer Gloria Schmidt told Chicago TV station CBS2.

Schmidt could not be immediately reached for comment on Friday.

Twentieth Century Fox Television, the producer of "Empire" released a statement on Thursday saying the idea that Smollett has been, or would be, written out of the show was "patently ridiculous," and that they continue to stand behind him.


(Reporting by Gabriella Borter; Editing by Alistair Bell)

COMMENTS

More Related News

Judge Orders That Jussie Smollett
Judge Orders That Jussie Smollett's Case File Be Unsealed

A Chicago judge ordered that Smollett's case file be unsealed Thursday, making the records available to the public."State's Attorney Foxx is pleased to be able to provide the public with even greater transparency in this matter than was previously possible because of the sealing order," the Cook County State's Attorney's Office said in a statement to TheWrap.  "A review of the documents is currently underway and the State's Attorney's Office will release the documents related to this case through a FOIA production by June 3, 2019."The charges against Smollett included an accusation that the "Empire" actor staged a racist and homophobic attack on himself and arranged for two brothers to...

Judge Unseals Records in Jussie Smollett Case
Judge Unseals Records in Jussie Smollett Case

A Cook County judge Thursday ordered Jussie Smollett's criminal file to be unsealed, the Chicago Sun-Times is reporting.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with *

Cancel reply

Comments

Top News: US

facebook
Hit "Like"
Don't miss any important news
Thanks, you don't need to show me this anymore.