Police charge man in California over murders of homeless men




  • In US
  • 2018-09-25 18:15:26Z
  • By By Gabriella Borter

By Gabriella Borter

(Reuters) - Police arrested and charged a man in Santa Monica, California, with murder, after he apparently attacked several homeless men with a baseball bat earlier this month, killing at least two, according to a statement by the Los Angeles Police Department.

Police will provide further details on the investigation at a news briefing in Los Angeles later on Tuesday.

Ramon Escobar, 47, was arrested Monday after he allegedly beat a homeless man unconscious in Santa Monica, LAPD said.

Detectives believe Escobar is responsible for at least three other attacks on homeless men while they were sleeping in downtown Los Angeles on Sept. 16, two of which were fatal.

LAPD Captain William Hayes said the suspect, who was caught on surveillance video last week, had rummaged through the victims' belongings in search of valuable items before leaving the scene.

Santa Monica police were also investigating Escobar's possible involvement in a third murder after officers found a dead man under the city pier on Sept. 20, they said on Monday.

Escobar is also a person of interest in the August disappearance of two of his relatives in the Houston area, according to a report in the Los Angeles Times on Monday.

Houston Police Lieutenant Humberto Lopez told the paper that Escobar's uncle and aunt, Rogelio and Dina Escobar, had been missing since August. Police found the charred remains of Dina Escobar's van days after they disappeared, the paper said.

The Houston Police Department declined to respond to a request for comment on Tuesday.


(Reporting by Gabriella Borter; Editing by Joseph Ax and Bernadette Baum)

COMMENTS

More Related News

World Series 2018: Three reasons why the Dodgers will win
World Series 2018: Three reasons why the Dodgers will win

The Los Angeles Dodgers are back in the World Series after narrowly losing to the Houston Astros last year and will back themselves to win.

Musk says LA Hyperloop tunnel to be unveiled December 10
Musk says LA Hyperloop tunnel to be unveiled December 10

Elon Musk's Hyperloop ultra high-speed transport system will be unveiled in Los Angeles in early December with free test rides to the public, the entrepreneur announced. "The first tunnel is almost done," Musk said on Twitter late Sunday night. Musk's venture, "The Boring Company," has been pushing the underground system as a futuristic concept that could radically speed transport within and between cities.

Elon Musk
Elon Musk's 150mph 'Loop' tunnel system to open in December
  • Tech
  • 2018-10-22 09:33:53Z

Elon Musk has come a step closer to creating a "loop" transit system beneath Los Angeles to bring an end to "soul-destroying traffic" in the city.

A capsule look at the World Series
A capsule look at the World Series

A look at the best-of-seven World Series between the Los Angeles Dodgers and Boston Red Sox:

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with *

Cancel reply

Comments

Top News: US

facebook
Hit "Like"
Don't miss any important news
Thanks, you don't need to show me this anymore.