Players to swap rackets for game controllers as Madrid Open goes online




MUMBAI (Reuters) - The world's top tennis players will swap rackets for game controllers this month after organisers of the cancelled Madrid Open said they will stage a virtual competition to raise funds for struggling professionals amid the coronavirus shutdown.

The tennis season was halted in early March due to the pandemic, leaving players in the lower tiers, who solely depend on tournament winnings, without any chance to earn a living.

The men's ATP Tour and the WTA, which runs the women's circuit, suspended all tournaments until at least mid-July after countries started locking down their borders.

The Madrid Open, an ATP Masters 1000 and a WTA Premier Mandatory event in early May featuring total prize money of $8.3 million, was one of the events called off.

However, the tournament will now take place on the Tennis World Tour videogame and run from April 27-30, "with the world's biggest tennis stars squaring off from their own homes," the ATP Tour said https://www.atptour.com/en/news/online-tournament-madrid-2020.

"We have organised a tournament for the professional players that is as true to the conventional Mutua Madrid Open as possible, without them having to leave their homes," Madrid Open director Feliciano Lopez said in a statement.

"And its goal is not just to entertain; we want to do our bit during this period, which is so difficult for everyone."

With sport across the world virtually at a standstill due the spread of the novel coronavirus, some have gone online to raise funds and provide entertainment for fans.

La Liga organised an online soccer tournament recently while Formula One has also held virtual races.

The online tennis tournament, which has yet to confirm participants, will have 16 men's and women's singles players in each draw and offer a purse of 150,000 euros ($162,000) for both.

The winners will decide how much they want to donate to their fellow professionals while an additional 50,000 euros will go towards reducing the social impact of the COVID-19 pandemic.

Alongside the official competition, more funds will be raised from charity matches that will see some big names from the gaming world face professional tennis players.

Both the WTA and the ATP welcomed the concept and said it would provide some much-needed help to lower-tier professionals.

"We look forward to the virtual game, which can serve as a fun source of entertainment while at the same helping to bridge a gap until live tennis returns, while also providing opportunities to help those players in need during this challenging time," WTA CEO Steve Simon said.



(Reporting by Sudipto Ganguly; editing by Peter Rutherford)

COMMENTS

More Related News

The Latest: $300K in grants offered in wheelchair tennis
The Latest: $300K in grants offered in wheelchair tennis

The International Tennis Federation and four Grand Slam tournaments are pledging more than $300,000 in financial support for wheelchair athletes and national event hosts affected financially by the coronavirus pandemic. Wheelchair tennis players who earned under $100,000 in prize money last year and meet certain ranking requirements can apply for a grant under the program. More than 85 ITF-sanctioned wheelchair events have been postponed or canceled.

Tennis doubles free to return - but players must still observe social distancing
Tennis doubles free to return - but players must still observe social distancing

Tennis players can resume doubles with people from outside of their own household and share tennis balls as part of a further England-only easing of the lockdown restrictions. While the Welsh government is still not permitting any form of tennis and the Scottish government has only just allowed people from different households to play singles with individualised balls, the Lawn Tennis Association has further relaxed their guidelines for England. Under the new guidance, which was published on Sunday and will apply from Monday, both singles and doubles tennis is now permitted with people from outside of your household. The LTA say that two metre social distancing rules must still be applied...

US Open plan in works, including group flights, COVID tests
US Open plan in works, including group flights, COVID tests

Charter flights to ferry U.S. Open tennis players and limited entourages from Europe, South America and the Middle East to New York. All are among the scenarios being considered for the 2020 U.S. Open -- if it is held at all amid the coronavirus pandemic -- and described to The Associated Press by a high-ranking official at the Grand Slam tournament. "All of this is still fluid," Stacey Allaster, the U.S. Tennis Association's chief executive for professional tennis, said in a telephone interview Saturday.

U.S. Open mulls no fans, group flights, coronavirus tests as decision looms
U.S. Open mulls no fans, group flights, coronavirus tests as decision looms

An announcement on whether the U.S. Open tennis tournament should come from "mid-June to end of June," a top official said.

List of college teams cut because of coronavirus pandemic
List of college teams cut because of coronavirus pandemic

Four-year college athletic teams eliminated because of budgetary cuts or school closures associated with the coronavirus pandemic, according to Associated Press research through Friday, May 29 (x-denotes school closure) :

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with *

Cancel reply

Comments

Top News: Tennis