Pentagon looking to provide up to 100,000 body bags for civilians in virus outbreak




  • In US
  • 2020-04-01 23:51:09Z
  • By Reuters
Pentagon looking to provide up to 100,000 body bags for civilians in virus outbreak
Pentagon looking to provide up to 100,000 body bags for civilians in virus outbreak  

By Mike Stone

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The Pentagon is looking to provide up to 100,000 body bags for use by civilian authorities as the coronavirus outbreak worsens in the United States with a high death toll expected in coming weeks.

The Federal Emergency Management Agency has requested 100,000 such bags to the U.S. Department of Defense, a Pentagon official told Reuters on Wednesday.

The Defense Logistics Agency (DLA) is working with the current contractor on additional capacity, the official said.

The initial delivery will come from DLA stocks as the contractor ramps up production, according to the official, who spoke on condition of anonymity. The DLA does not yet have a specific delivery date request from FEMA, but the agency wants the bags as soon as they are ready.

Bloomberg had reported earlier that the Pentagon was looking at buying more body bags and that it will draw some initially from a stockpile of 50,000 that it maintains.

A FEMA spokesman cited by Bloomberg said that the agency was making "prudent" plans for future needs, which included preparations for "mortuary contingencies" from U.S. states.

The Troop Support unit of DLA is responsible for managing the Pentagon's stockpile of the green nylon, 94-inch by 38-inch body bags, which are normally used in war zones.

The development comes as the United States is looking at an increasing number of deaths from the coronavirus outbreak, with Reuters' tally showing more than 4,500 deaths and over 200,000 infections in the country.

President Donald Trump and his top healthcare advisers urged Americans to follow strict social distancing measures ahead of a "tough two weeks" that could see at least 100,000 deaths from the coronavirus.


(Reporting by Mike Stone in Washington, Writing by Kanishka Singh in Bengaluru; Editing by Sam Holmes)

COMMENTS

More Related News

Pentagon
Pentagon's No. 2 IG official resigns after being passed over

The No. 2 official in the Pentagon's office of inspector general, Glenn Fine, resigned Tuesday, several weeks after he was effectively removed as head of a special board to oversee auditing of the $2.2 trillion coronavirus economic relief package. On May 15, Trump fired the State Department's inspector general, Steve Linick, whose office was critical of what it saw as political bias in the State Department's management. In April, Trump also fired Michael Atkinson, the intelligence community inspector general who forwarded to Congress a whistleblower complaint that ultimately led to the president's impeachment in the House.

Pentagon
Pentagon's deputy inspector general resigns
  • US
  • 2020-05-26 15:54:45Z

The Defense Department's deputy inspector general resigned on Tuesday, more than a month after President Donald Trump removed him as the Pentagon's acting inspector general, who was to also oversee the U.S. government $2.3 trillion coronavirus response. Glenn Fine's resignation comes after the Trump administration has removed four government inspectors general, who seek to root out government waste, fraud and abuse, in recent weeks. Most recently the State Department's inspector general, Steve Linick was fired.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with *

Cancel reply

Comments

Top News: US