Pentagon authorizes $1 billion for Trump's border wall




  • In Politics
  • 2019-03-26 06:42:28Z
  • By AFP

Washington (AFP) - Acting Pentagon chief Patrick Shanahan has authorized $1 billion to build part of the wall sought by Donald Trump along the US-Mexico border, the first funds designated for the project under the president's emergency declaration.

The Department of Homeland Security asked the Pentagon to build 57 miles (92 kilometers) of 18-foot (5.5-meter) fencing, construct and improve roads, and install lighting to support Trump's emergency declaration.

Shanahan "authorized the commander of the US Army Corps of Engineers to begin planning and executing up to $1 billion in support to the Department of Homeland Security and Customs and Border Patrol," a Pentagon statement issued late Monday read.

The acting defense secretary cited a federal law that he said gives the Pentagon broad authority to build infrastructure "across international boundaries of the United States in support of counter-narcotic activities of federal law enforcement agencies."

The statement was released a day before Shanahan was due to testify in Congress to present and defend the Pentagon's draft budget.

The White House has laid out an ambitious 2020 budget proposal which contains $8.6 billion in new wall funding, above the $5.7 billion Trump sought for this year.

Frustrated by Congress's refusal to provide the budget he wanted, Trump declared a national emergency last month.

The White House has signaled it will seek to repurpose some $6 billion from military funds, without specifying which Pentagon programs would be slashed.

The move drew condemnation from both the president's rival Democrats and fellow Republicans, who warned it was an abuse of presidential powers and created a dangerous precedent.

Trump has made border security an over-arching domestic issue and says it will remain at the center of the agenda in his 2020 reelection bid.

Although there has been a surge in arrival of families and children at the border, overall apprehensions at the frontier are down substantially from a decade or more ago.

- Military misgivings -

There have also been reported misgivings within the military, including from America's top marine who last week warned that deployments to the US-Mexico border pose an "unacceptable risk" to the force, according to documents obtained by The Los Angeles Times.

In memos addressed to acting Pentagon chief Patrick Shanahan and Navy secretary Richard Spencer, General Robert Neller wrote that he had been forced to cancel or reduce exercises in five countries.

Neller added the declaration meant the corps could not afford to rebuild hurricane-hit bases in North Carolina and Georgia.

"The hurricane season is only three months away... and we have Marines, Sailors, and civilians working in compromised structures," Neller wrote.

- Court showdown -

The declaration has also been challenged by 16 states which sued the administration last month, contending the order was contrary to the constitution's presentment and appropriations clauses, which outline legislative procedures and define Congress as the final arbiter of public funds.

The lawsuit also questioned Trump's categorization of illegal border crossings as a national emergency, saying data issued by the administration itself refuted the notion.

Should the states prevail, the case could work its way up to the Supreme Court, setting up a precedent-setting showdown on the separation of powers.

COMMENTS

More Related News

SUPREME COURT NOTEBOOK: Gender pronouns part of LGBT fight
SUPREME COURT NOTEBOOK: Gender pronouns part of LGBT fight

White House Dismisses Payroll Tax Cuts as Slowdown Prevention
White House Dismisses Payroll Tax Cuts as Slowdown Prevention

(Bloomberg) -- Terms of Trade is a daily newsletter that untangles a world embroiled in trade wars. Sign up here. The White House dismissed the idea that the administration is looking to cut payroll taxes as a way to bolster consumer spending, as economic indicators increasingly point to a potential

Economists survey: 34% expect a US recession in 2021
Economists survey: 34% expect a US recession in 2021
  • US
  • 2019-08-19 09:43:51Z

A number of U.S. business economists appear sufficiently concerned about the risks of some of President Donald Trump's economic policies that they expect a recession in the U.S. by the end of 2021. Thirty-four percent of economists surveyed by the National Association for Business Economics, in a report being released Monday, said they believe a slowing economy will tip into recession in 2021. Only 2% of those polled expect a recession to begin this year, while 38% predict that it will occur in 2020.

U.S. President Trump does not want to do business with China
U.S. President Trump does not want to do business with China's Huawei
  • US
  • 2019-08-18 22:43:00Z

U.S. President Donald Trump on Sunday said he did not want the United States to do business with China's Huawei even as the administration weighs whether to extend a grace period for the company. Reuters and other media outlets reported on Friday that the U.S. Commerce Department is expected to extend a reprieve given to Huawei Technologies Co Ltd [HWT.UL] that permits the Chinese firm to buy supplies from U.S. companies so that it can service existing customers. The "temporary general license" will be extended for Huawei for 90 days, Reuters reported, citing two sources familiar with the situation.

'Strong economy through 2020': Trump advisers insist recession is not coming

* Peter Navarro and Larry Kudlow dispute market indicators * Tariffs are hurting China not US, trade aide insists Traders work after the opening bell at the New York Stock Exchange on Thursday. Photograph: Johannes Eisele/AFP/Getty ImagesDonald Trump's chief trade advisers insisted on Sunday the US is not facing a recession which markets appear to fear and which could cost the president dearly at the polls next year.Speaking to ABC's This Week, White House trade adviser Peter Navarro defended US policy, predicted a "strong economy through 2020" and disputed the existence of a bond-market indicator of approaching recession that this week sent stocks into their largest one-day sell-off...

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with *

Cancel reply

Comments

facebook
Hit "Like"
Don't miss any important news
Thanks, you don't need to show me this anymore.