Peaceful Hong Kong march marred by fire outside court, police say




  • In Business
  • 2019-12-09 02:35:29Z
  • By Reuters

HONG KONG (Reuters) - Hong Kong protesters set fire outside court buildings, threw petrol bombs and spray-painted graffiti on government buildings, marring what was otherwise a "generally peaceful" march over the weekend, police said on Monday.

The comments came as protesters called for strikes across the city on Monday. During the early morning rush hour most railway and transport links were running smoothly and there were no initial reports of widespread disruptions.

Vast crowds of black-clad demonstrators thronged the streets of the Asian financial hub on Sunday, in the largest anti-government rally since local elections last month and a resounding show of continued support for the pro-democracy movement.

While the march appeared to be largely peaceful - in marked contrast to other mass demonstrations over the last six months, where protesters fought pitched battles with police - authorities said there was some damage after it ended.

"Although the event was generally peaceful, acts of breaching public peace happened afterwards," police said in a statement on Monday.

"Some rioters spray-painted the exterior walls of the High Court, threw petrol bombs and set fire outside the High Court and the Court of Final Appeal, damaging government properties and seriously challenging the spirit of the rule of law," police said, adding that shops and banks were vandalized in the Causeway Bay and Wan Chai areas.

Protesters estimated the turnout at 800,000, while police said 183,000. In an editorial, the official China Daily newspaper called on the Hong Kong government to uphold the rule of law.

"Many residents in Hong Kong are fed up with the violence and disruption that have plagued the city for months. The record turnout for the district council elections showed they want to express their views peacefully," said the newspaper, often used by Beijing to put its message out to the world.

Hong Kong's new police commissioner had said he would take a "hard and soft approach" to the demonstrations, where acts of violence would be treated harshly but other issues more flexibly.

What started as demonstrations against a now-withdrawn bill allowing extradition to mainland China has morphed into calls for greater democratic freedoms and sometimes violent protests.

The former British colony has enjoyed relative calm in the weeks since the elections.

Protesters have set out five demands, including universal suffrage and an investigation into alleged police brutality.

On Saturday, two leaders of the American Chamber of Commerce in Hong Kong were denied entry to the neighboring Chinese city of Macau, without explanation.

China has repeatedly blamed foreign powers, including the United States, for stirring up the unrest.


(Reporting by Hong Kong bureau; Writing by David Dolan; Editing by Stephen Coates)

COMMENTS

More Related News

Hong Kong slashes border crossings with China over virus
Hong Kong slashes border crossings with China over virus

Hong Kong on Tuesday announced drastic measures to cut the number of people crossing into the city from mainland China in a bid to curb the spread of a SARS-like virus that has already killed more than 100 people. With tour groups from the mainland suspended earlier, the new measures blocking individual travellers will dramatically reduce the number of Chinese able to visit the semi-autonomous city. The number of flights from the mainland to Hong Kong will be halved and all ferry services suspended to "reduce the mobility of people from both sides", city leader Carrie Lam said, adding six of 14 border checkpoints will close from January 30 "until further notice".

China extends Lunar New Year holiday as new virus toll rises
China extends Lunar New Year holiday as new virus toll rises
  • World
  • 2020-01-27 01:04:26Z

China on Monday expanded sweeping efforts to contain a viral disease by postponing the end of this week's Lunar New Year holiday to keep the public at home and avoid spreading infection as the death toll rose to 80. Hong Kong announced it would bar entry to visitors from the mainland province at the center of the outbreak. Increasingly drastic anti-disease efforts began with the Jan. 22 suspension of plane, train and bus links to Wuhan, a city of 11 million people in central China where the virus was first detected last month.

France withdraws controversial grenade from police use
France withdraws controversial grenade from police use

France will withdraw from use an explosive tear gas grenade used by riot police and blamed for injuring numerous protesters, the interior minister said Sunday, amid growing anger at perceived police brutality. Sanctioned for use by French law enforcement since 2011, the GLI-F4 grenade explodes with a loud, powerful blast to release a cloud of tear gas. The grenade is designed to help law enforcers under attack escape from a dangerous situation, but is blamed for maiming protesters in sometimes hairy confrontations with police in more than a year of anti-government "yellow vest" protests.

Hong Kong bars Hubei residents from entering city as coronavirus fears intensify
Hong Kong bars Hubei residents from entering city as coronavirus fears intensify

Hong Kong authorities on Sunday barred residents of China's Hubei province, the center of the coronavirus outbreak, from entering the city, in response to mounting pressure to enact preventative measures to contain the spreading epidemic. The ban includes those who have been in the province in the past 14 days but excludes Hong Kong citizens. Earlier a group of protesters set alight the lobby of a newly built residential building in Hong Kong that authorities planned to use as a quarantine facility for the coronavirus outbreak.

Hong Kong Disneyland and Ocean Park to be closed from Sunday to help prevent spread of virus: CCTV
Hong Kong Disneyland and Ocean Park to be closed from Sunday to help prevent spread of virus: CCTV

Hong Kong's popular amusement parks Disneyland and Ocean Park are closed from Jan. 26 to help prevent the spread of a deadly coronavirus that broke out in the Chinese city Wuhan, state media CCTV reported on Sunday. Business is going on as usual at the hotels inside Hong Kong Disneyland, however, CCTV reported. The Shanghai government said on Friday that Shanghai Disneyland will be closed from Saturday.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with *

Cancel reply

Comments

Top News: Business