Oregon ranchers who sparked standoff to return home after Trump pardon




  • In US
  • 2018-07-11 12:46:50Z
  • By Reuters
FILE PHOTO: A U.
FILE PHOTO: A U.  

(Reuters) - Two Oregon ranchers whose sentencing on arson convictions sparked the 2016 armed occupation of a wildlife refuge were due to return home on Wednesday, after being pardoned by U.S. President Donald Trump, the family said in a statement.

The 41-day standoff, which occurred in response to the jailing of the ranchers for setting a fire that spread to public land, marked a flare-up in the long-simmering dispute over federal land policies in the U.S. West. It turned deadly when police shot one of the occupiers.

The family of jailed rancher Dwight Hammond, 76, and his son, Steven, 49, in a statement late Tuesday thanked Trump.

"Our family is grateful to the president and all who worked to make this possible," the statement read. "We will continue on our path, continue ranching and continue believing in America."

The pair were expected to arrive at Burns Municipal Airport in southeastern Oregon, about 120 miles (190 km) east of Bend, after on Wednesday morning, the family statement said.

The ranchers were convicted in 2012 for setting a fire that spread onto public land, after years of disputes with the U.S. Bureau of Land Management. The Hammonds said they were using standard brush-control techniques, but federal prosecutors said that in at least one instance they were trying to hide evidence of the slaughtering of a herd of deer.

They were initially sentenced to less than the legal minimum five years in prison by a judge who said the minimum was too harsh. Following an appeal by prosecutors, a different judge ordered the men back to prison to serve the full five years, sparking protests and the occupation of the Malheur National Wildlife Refuge.

The White House on Tuesday called that decision "unjust." It noted that Dwight Hammond had served about three years in prison and Steven had served four.

Jennifer Rokala, executive director of the Center for Western Priorities, in a statement expressed dismay at the pardon, calling the Hammonds "lawless extremists."

The leaders of the Malheur standoff, including activists Ammon and Ryan Bundy, were cleared of federal charges for their role in the protest.

The pardons are the latest in a series that have raised questions about whether Trump is using the power to reward supporters. Others have included conservative pundit Dinesh D'Souza, for campaign finance crimes, and former Arizona sheriff Joe Arpaio, who campaigned for Trump before being convicted in a case regarding racial profiling.


(Reporting by Scott Malone in Boston; Editing by Steve Orlofsky)

COMMENTS

More Related News

Cruz, O
Cruz, O'Rourke trade attacks during testy 1st Texas debate

A Texas Senate race that long looked like a cakewalk for the conservative incumbent now appears to be anything but that.

Rod Rosenstein Suggested Recording Trump And Invoking 25th Amendment: Reports
Rod Rosenstein Suggested Recording Trump And Invoking 25th Amendment: Reports

Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein reportedly suggested secretly recording Trump last year, The New York Times reports.

Trump says Supreme Court nominee Kavanaugh is
Trump says Supreme Court nominee Kavanaugh is 'under assault'
  • US
  • 2018-09-21 14:53:52Z

U.S. President Donald Trump said on Friday that his Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh was "under assault" by radical leftist politicians, appearing to grow impatient with the delay of his appointee's confirmation proceedings. "Judge Brett Kavanaugh is a fine man, with an impeccable

Kavanaugh
Kavanaugh's accuser says she would testify under right terms

WASHINGTON (AP) - Christine Blasey Ford may testify against Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh after all, her attorney said, breathing new life into the prospect of a dramatic Senate showdown next week over Ford's accusation that he assaulted her when they were in high school.

Trump urges Republicans to
Trump urges Republicans to 'get tough' on border wall spending
  • US
  • 2018-09-20 13:32:52Z

U.S. President Donald Trump pressed fellow Republicans in Congress on Thursday to "get tough" and push to fund his proposed border wall in the current spending bill, raising the specter of a government shutdown when funding lapses later this month. In a post on Twitter, Trump called the bill "ridiculous" for not including funds for a planned wall along the U.S. border with Mexico, and blamed Democrats for blocking it in the plan passed by the Republican-controlled Senate on Tuesday. The Senate-approved massive spending package included a provision to fund the federal government through Dec. 7 in an effort to avoid a government shutdown when funding ends Sept. 30.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with *

Cancel reply

Comments

Top News: US

facebook
Hit "Like"
Don't miss any important news
Thanks, you don't need to show me this anymore.