One Word Has People Convinced Mike Pence Wrote Anonymous New York Times Op-Ed




 

The New York Times' scathing anti-Donald Trump op-ed, which the paper attributed to "a senior official in the Trump administration," has inspired a parlor game among people trying to figure out the author's name.

Some online commentators are leaning toward Vice President Mike Pence based on just one word in the piece.

The unidentified author singles out the late Arizona Sen. John McCain as "a lodestar for restoring honor to public life and our national dialogue."

The word ― which Merriam-Webster defines as either "a star that leads or guides" or a person who "serves as an inspiration, model, or guide" ― isn't that commonly used. But Pence apparently says it a lot, according to this mash-up posted on Twitter:

The "lodestar" hashtag is already trending on Twitter. While it might sound like a conspiracy theory, audio producer Dan Bloom explained in an interesting Twitter thread why he thinks the use of "lodestar" in the op-ed makes Pence a key suspect.

Bloom wrote that from what he can tell, Pence has been using "lodestar" since at least 2001.

He also acknowledged that the Times described the author as "a senior official in the Trump administration whose identity is known to us and whose job would be jeopardized by its disclosure." Although Pence is probably the only White House official who can't be fired, Bloom suggested, probably correctly, that being identified as the author of the op-ed could hurt any presidential aspirations Pence has.

Pence's office denied that the vice president wrote the op-ed. In a statement Thursday, Pence's communications director Jarrod Agen echoed Trump's criticism of the op-ed as "gutless." Though he did not specifically rule out someone in Pence's office as the potential author, Agen added that "our office is above such amateur acts."

There are some other possible holes in the theory.

Business Insider notes that previous stories about White House leakers have said that staffers who supply anonymous quotes to the press have been known to use words or phrases employed by other members of the Trump administration to keep the president guessing.

"To cover my tracks, I usually pay attention to other staffers' idioms and use that in my background quotes. That throws the scent off me," one White House official told Axios earlier this year.

Of course, the key piece of evidence suggesting that Pence is not the author may be his own fawning, obsequious praise of Trump.

However, it should also be noted that Scott Roos, a former college classmate of Pence's, said the future vice president once said that "God told him he would be president," according to CNN.

Theoretically, he could have written the op-ed to jump-start the dream.

This article has been updated with comment from Pence's communications director.

COMMENTS

More Related News

Environmentalists are suing the Trump administration to save chickens, coyotes and caribou
Environmentalists are suing the Trump administration to save chickens, coyotes and caribou

The legal efforts represent a new salvo against the Trump administration, which environmental groups say is ignoring the nation's wildlife laws.

Trump administration bans abortion referrals at U.S.-funded clinics
Trump administration bans abortion referrals at U.S.-funded clinics
  • US
  • 2019-02-23 02:08:45Z

The Trump administration said on Friday that taxpayer-funded family planning clinics which primarily serve low-income Americans will no longer be able to refer patients for abortions, a move that critics vowed to challenge in court. The new regulation was announced by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services as part of Title X, a government family planning program that serves about 4 million people. The program currently subsidizes health centers such as those run by the non-profit Planned Parenthood, which provides contraception, health screenings and abortions.

Trump sets up abortion obstacles, barring clinic referrals
Trump sets up abortion obstacles, barring clinic referrals

WASHINGTON (AP) - The Trump administration on Friday set up new obstacles for women seeking abortions, barring taxpayer-funded family planning clinics from making abortion referrals. The new policy is certain to be challenged in court.

Planned Parenthood Cut Off From Federal Funding Under Trump Rule
Planned Parenthood Cut Off From Federal Funding Under Trump Rule

Under a regulation issued on Friday, no health-care provider that offers abortion services will be eligible for the federal Title X program, which last year offered $286.5 million in grants that funded family-planning services. The rule "prohibits the use of Title X funds to perform, promote, refer for, or support abortion as a method of family planning," according to a fact sheet published by the Department of Health and Human Services. Planned Parenthood has long been a target for anti-abortion lawmakers and politicians.

U.S. judge weighs expanding lawsuit over family separations to cover more children
U.S. judge weighs expanding lawsuit over family separations to cover more children
  • US
  • 2019-02-22 03:10:57Z

The Office of Inspector General at the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) said in a report published earlier this year that the agency had identified many more children in addition to the 2,737 included as part of the class action lawsuit challenging family separations brought by the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) last year. In response to the lawsuit, Sabraw ordered the families identified through a court process to be reunited with their children.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with *

Cancel reply

Comments

Top News: Latin America

facebook
Hit "Like"
Don't miss any important news
Thanks, you don't need to show me this anymore.