One UFC 249 leading location now appears to be in jeopardy




  • In Sports
  • 2020-03-30 17:33:50Z
  • By MMA Weekly
 

Along with Khabib Nurmagomedov now being a scratch for UFC 249 on April 18, it appears that one of the leading locations in the United States for it to take place is not all but out of the picture for potential consideration.

UFC president Dana White has been adamant that nothing short of a complete government ordered shutdown of the United States would stop him from holding UFC 249 in some form or fashion on April 18. As that date draws ever nearer, the restrictions not only across the U.S., but the globe, continue to tighten in response to the global covid-19 pandemic.

A few days ago, the leading U.S. location for UFC 249, according to oddsmakers at BetOnline, had been Florida. Outside the U.S., the United Arab Emirates had been the top choice.

But restrictions are making both of those options highly unlikely. The U.S. has issued a travel advisory dissuading all international travel. There are also some travel advisories now restricting some domestic travel as well.

Florida has acted on its own behalf, instituting border checks and issuing shutdowns across much of the state, particularly in Southern Florida, where the UFC would be most likely to land.

According to Forbes.com:

The original UFC 249 main event between Khabib Nurmagomedov and Tony Ferguson is in shambles. Nurmagomedov traveled home to Russia a few weeks ago and now his country is closed to all international travel, making it all but impossible to fight on April 18.

TRENDING > Khabib locked down in Russia, UFC 249 could featured Tony Ferguson vs. Justin Gaethje

As of Monday, UFC officials were scrambling and trying to put together a Ferguson vs. Justin Gaethje bout as the new main event, while the remainder of the UFC 249 fight card is also in disarray.

White is determined to hold UFC 249 on April 18 in some form or fashion if at all possible, but things are getting more and more difficult by the day.

COMMENTS

More Related News

How to watch the SpaceX Crew Dragon launch
How to watch the SpaceX Crew Dragon launch

Watch live as two NASA astronauts​ lift off aboard a SpaceX Crew Dragon, ushering in a new era for the U.S. space program.

A Florida teacher convicted of multiple sex crimes involving students begged a judge for castration instead of prison time
A Florida teacher convicted of multiple sex crimes involving students begged a judge for castration instead of prison time
  • US
  • 2020-05-26 20:49:29Z

Mark Lua, 32, pleaded guilty to the sex offenses last year. Last week, he was sentenced to 12 years in prison.

Three U.S. states offer to host Republican convention if Trump pulls it from North Carolina
Three U.S. states offer to host Republican convention if Trump pulls it from North Carolina

Trump tweeted on Monday that the party would find another site for the Republican National Convention if North Carolina Governor Roy Cooper, a Democrat, did not immediately say whether the convention space can be "fully occupied." Cooper's office has said state health officials are working with the RNC to review plans, and that they would rely on data and science to protect public health amid the COVID-19 pandemic.

Henry Cejudo removed from official UFC rankings, issues statement
Henry Cejudo removed from official UFC rankings, issues statement

The UFC is currently without a bantamweight champion, officially removing Henry Cejudo from the top of the 135-pound divisional rankings.Cejudo last set foot in the Octagon at UFC 249, where he defeated former champion Dominick Cruz in the co-main event. Following the victory, Cejudo surprisingly announced his retirement."I want to make an announcement. Uncle Dana, UFC, everybody, thank you so much," said Cejudo. "I'm happy with my career. I've done enough in the sport. I want to walk away. I want to enjoy myself. I'm 33-years old. I have a girl now. Amanda is watching back home. She wants to start a family. Since I was 11-years old I've sacrificed my whole life to get to where I"m at...

Trump
Trump's Fifth Simple Trick for Stealing the Election Will Give You Nightmares-and Tear America Apart

So many shocking things have become normal now under this administration that it's kind of hard to imagine what would genuinely jolt the nation at this point. And with regard to November's election, the shocking-but-normal reality is that we know Donald Trump will cheat. There was a terrifying piece in the Times on Sunday laying out all the different moves he could pull to steal the election that his opponents are war-gaming to prepare for and counter. One little nugget from it: Trump could issue orders that impact cities in battleground states like "declaring a state of emergency, deploying the National Guard or forbidding gatherings of more than 10 people." Everyone knows he'll cheat....

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with *

Cancel reply

Comments

Top News: Sports