Numerous reports consistent with Syria chemical exposure but no definite conclusion yet: U.S.




  • In World
  • 2019-05-23 19:05:09Z
  • By Reuters

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The United States has received numerous reports that appear consistent with chemical exposure after an attack by Syrian government forces in northwest Syria, but it has made no definitive conclusion as to whether they used chemical weapons, the State Department said on Thursday.

"We do have numerous sources including interviews with those present during the attack that did report that a number of opposition fighters were taken to local hospitals and presented symptoms that were consistent with chemical exposure," State Department spokeswoman Morgan Ortagus told reporters.

The State Department said on Tuesday it saw signs the Syrian government may be using chemical weapons, including what it called an alleged chlorine attack on Sunday in northwest Syria. The department warned that Washington and its allies would respond "quickly and appropriately" if this were proven.

"We know of course that this is a pattern of behavior, unfortunately, by the Assad regime, but we don't have any definitive conclusions yet as we continue to investigate," Ortagus said.

Syria's government denies using chemical weapons.

Rebels fighting on the mountainous western edge of Syria's last big rebel enclave of Idlib said on Sunday that the army had shelled them with poison gas, leading some to suffer choking symptoms. They said they had not documented the attack because they were under bombardment when it occurred.

Ortagus said the location of the alleged attack was "at the front lines, so it does make access to that site limited."

The Trump administration has twice bombed Syria over Assad's alleged use of chemical weapons, in April 2017 and April 2018.

Syrian President Bashar al-Assad launched an offensive at the end of April on Idlib and parts of adjacent provinces, saying insurgents had broken a truce. This week, rebels rolled back some government advances on the main battlefront.

The United States says it has been working to encourage a return to a ceasefire that had been in place since September.

(Reporting by David Brunnstrom; Writing by Mohammad Zargham; Editing by Bernadette Baum and James Dalgleish)

COMMENTS

More Related News

Countries pledge $110 million for UN Palestinian agency
Countries pledge $110 million for UN Palestinian agency

More than $110 million was raised Tuesday at a pledging conference to support the UN agency for Palestinian refugees UNRWA, which has been struggling since the United States slashed funding. UNRWA chief Pierre Kraehenbuehl said the funding would allow the agency, which provides education and health services to Palestinians, to cover costs for the coming months and avoid a budget crisis. The conference was held on the same day as President Donald Trump's administration unveiled the economic component of a long-awaited Middle East peace plan, at a workshop in Bahrain boycotted by the Palestinian Authority.

Another American has died in the Dominican Republic, bringing total to at least 8 this year
Another American has died in the Dominican Republic, bringing total to at least 8 this year

A 56-year-old man from Long Island, New York, has died in the Dominican Republic, according to multiple reports.

What
What's wrong with Palestinian surrender, Israel's UN envoy asks

Israel's UN ambassador on Monday urged Palestinians to surrender their struggle for a homeland in exchange for economic benefits as the United States prepared to roll out part of a peace plan promising billions of dollars. Palestinian leaders have said the US plan will be tantamount to surrender and declared President Donald Trump's initiative as dead on arrival. "I ask: What's wrong with Palestinian surrender?" wrote Ambassador Danny Danon in a New York Times op-ed.

U.S., Taliban aim to firm up date for foreign force exit from Afghanistan
U.S., Taliban aim to firm up date for foreign force exit from Afghanistan
  • US
  • 2019-06-24 11:01:19Z

Upcoming peace talks between the United States and the Taliban will focus on working out a timeline for the withdrawal of U.S.-led troops from Afghanistan and on a Taliban guarantee militants won't plot attacks from Afghan soil, sources said on Monday. A seventh round of talks between the warring sides begins on Saturday in Qatar's capital of Doha, where U.S. and Taliban negotiators have been trying to hammer out a deal to end to the 18-year-long war since October. "Once the timetable for foreign force withdrawal is announced, then talks will automatically enter the next stage," said Sohail Shaheen, a spokesman for the Taliban's political office in Doha.

Filling Iran oil gap in India: U.S. supplies outshine Middle East crude
Filling Iran oil gap in India: U.S. supplies outshine Middle East crude

A surge in India's oil imports from the United States outpaced growth in shipments from its traditional suppliers in the Middle East, after Washington imposed sanctions on Tehran in November, according to tanker arrival data obtained from sources. U.S. President Donald Trump's administration renewed sanctions against Iran last year over its nuclear programme, although some buyers were allowed to continue taking limited volumes of Iranian oil under a six-month waiver. In May, the United States ended those exemptions and said countries that continued to buy Iranian oil would face sanctions, but India buyers had already begun shifting some of their sourcing away from the Middle East.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with *

Cancel reply

Comments

Top News: World

facebook
Hit "Like"
Don't miss any important news
Thanks, you don't need to show me this anymore.