North Korean bomb prompts global condemnation, calls for talks




  • In Politics
  • 2017-09-03 11:11:30Z
  • By Reuters
 

LONDON (Reuters) - North Korea's biggest nuclear test to date was condemned around the world on Sunday, with the U.N. nuclear watchdog expressing grave concern and Russia saying it could lead to serious consequences.

The explosion of what North Korea said was an advanced hydrogen bomb caused residents across the border in China to flee their homes, fearing an earthquake. Japan and South Korea said it was around 10 times more powerful than the tremor picked up after the last test a year ago.

French President Emmanuel Macron urged the United Nations Security Council to react quickly and decisively.

"The international community must treat this new provocation with the utmost firmness, in order to bring North Korea to come back unconditionally to the path of dialogue and to proceed to the complete, verifiable and irreversible dismantling of its nuclear and ballistic program," he said in a statement.

China, the only North Korean ally that is a permanent member of the Security Council, urged its neighbor to stop "wrong" actions that worsen the situation. It said it would fully enforce U.N. resolutions on the country.

With U.S. President Donald Trump yet to respond, the Russian foreign ministry called for calm.

"In the emerging conditions it is absolutely essential to keep cool, refrain from any actions that could lead to a further escalation of tensions," it said on its website, adding that North Korea risked "serious consequences".

Moscow urged all sides involved to hold talks, which it said was the only way to resolve the Korean peninsula's problems. Later on Sunday, Russian President Vladimir Putin is set to meet his Chinese counterpart Xi Jinping in China.

Just hours before the nuclear test, Trump talked by phone with Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe about the "escalating" nuclear crisis. After Pyongyang fired a ballistic missile over Japan last week, he tweeted that "talking is not the answer".

The International Atomic Energy Agency, which has no access to North Korea, called the nuclear test, Pyongyang's sixth since 2006, "an extremely regrettable act" that was "in complete disregard of the repeated demands of the international community."

The organization in charge of the global nuclear test ban treaty - which cannot come into legal force until ratified by the United States, China, India, Iran, Israel, Pakistan and Egypt as well as North Korea - said things had to change.

"I sincerely hope that this will serve as the final wake-up call to the international community to outlaw all nuclear testing by bringing the CTBT into force," said Lassina Zerbo, head of the Comprehensive Test Ban Treaty Organisation.

(Reporting by Reuters bureaux; editing by John Stonestreet; Writing by Robin Pomeroy)

COMMENTS

More Related News

Donald Trump Tries A New Tactic To Attack Congresswoman Who Exposed His Lies
Donald Trump Tries A New Tactic To Attack Congresswoman Who Exposed His Lies

President Donald Trump pushed his feud with a Florida congresswoman into the weekend by tweeting that she "is killing the Democratic party."

White House: It's 'Highly Inappropriate' For Journalists To Criticize A General
White House: It's 'Highly Inappropriate' For Journalists To Criticize A General

WASHINGTON ― White House press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders told reporters Friday that it would be "highly inappropriate" for them to question chief of staff John Kelly because he served in the military as a general.

The White House Keeps Attacking Congresswoman Who Has Been Right All Along
The White House Keeps Attacking Congresswoman Who Has Been Right All Along

Rep. Frederica Wilson (D-Fla.) took a victory lap in her feud with President Donald Trump after the White House was caught falsely maligning her for the second time this week.

Trump
Trump's border wall models take shape in San Diego

SAN DIEGO (AP) - The last two of eight prototypes for President Donald Trump's proposed border wall took shape Thursday at a construction site in San Diego.

Senate backs GOP budget in step forward for tax revamp
Senate backs GOP budget in step forward for tax revamp

WASHINGTON (AP) - Republicans on Thursday muscled a $4 trillion budget through the Senate in a major step forward for President Donald Trump's ambitious promise of "massive tax cuts and reform."

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with *

Cancel reply

Comments

Top News: Politics

facebook
Hit "Like"
Don't miss any important news
Thanks, you don't need to show me this anymore.