North Korea's former top nuclear envoy seen with Kim Jong Un on Sunday: KCNA




  • In US
  • 2019-06-02 23:05:32Z
  • By Reuters

SEOUL (Reuters) - North Korean senior official and former top nuclear envoy Kim Yong Chol accompanied leader Kim Jong Un to a Sunday art performance, state media KCNA said on Monday, signaling that the former spymaster is alive and remains a force in North Korea's power structure.

South Korean newspaper Chosun Ilbo reported on Friday that Kim Yong Chol, Kim Jong Un's right-hand man and the counterpart to U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo before the failed Hanoi summit, had been sent to a labor and re-education camp in Jagang Province near the Chinese border, citing an unidentified North Korea source.

Asked about the last U.S. contact with Kim Yong Chol and North Korea in general on Sunday, Pompeo declined to answer, saying: "We conduct our negotiations in private."

During an amateur art performance by the wives of officers in the North Korean Army attended by Kim Jong Un and his wife, Ri Sol Ju, on Sunday, Kim Yong Chol was among "leading officials" who accompanied them, according to KCNA on Monday.

He was the 10th official named among 12 mentioned overall.

As Kim Jong Un's point man for nuclear talks with the United States, Kim Yong Chol was apparently censured for the summit's collapse by being removed from a key party post, a South Korean lawmaker said in April.

Kim Yong Chol was pictured standing behind Kim Jong Un in an official photo released from a session of North Korea's rubber-stamp legislature in April, but did not accompany Kim on his summit with Russian President Vladimir Putin later that month.

The Chosun Ilbo story, which Reuters was unable to independently confirm, also said North Korea executed its working-level nuclear envoy to the United States, Kim Hyok Chol, as part of a purge of officials who steered negotiations for the collapsed summit in February.

Officials who worked with Kim Yong Chol have been out of the public eye since the summit, while seasoned diplomats who appeared to have been sidelined, including Vice Foreign Minister Choe Son Hui, were seen returning to the spotlight.


(Reporting by Joyce Lee; Additional reporting by David Brunnstrom; Editing by Peter Cooney)

COMMENTS

More Related News

India set to raise tariffs on some US goods: reports
India set to raise tariffs on some US goods: reports

India has decided to raise tariffs on imports of 29 goods from the US after having deferred the move several times since announcing it last year, media reported Saturday. The government had said last June it would raise import taxes on a slew of US goods including almonds and apples, apparently irked by Washington's refusal to exempt New Delhi from higher steel and aluminium tariffs. There would be no further delays in imposing the retaliatory tariffs, the Economic Times reported, quoting a government official, with the new taxes due to take effect from Sunday.

Gulf Tanker Whodunit: Trump
Gulf Tanker Whodunit: Trump's a Liar. So Are the Mullahs.

Handout via ReutersPARIS-Who was it who blasted two tankers in the Persian Gulf on Thursday? Whodunit?The Trump administration says it must have been the Iranians. Trump told Fox & Friends on Friday the attack has "got Iran written all over it." And Iran says it must have been somebody else. And because both sides have such long records of deceit and, really, no regard for the truth, we the public and the press find ourselves sliding toward war with no firm grip on the facts. Gosh, that feels familiar: a plunge into "unknown unknowns." But the information situation is much worse today than when Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld uttered that delphic phrase amid the vanguard of lies that...

Iran denies tanker attacks as tensions soar
Iran denies tanker attacks as tensions soar
  • World
  • 2019-06-14 11:51:17Z

Iran dismissed as "baseless" on Friday US accusations it executed twin attacks that left two tankers ablaze in the Gulf of Oman, raising fears of conflict in the strategically vital waterway. China called for all sides to "resolve the conflict through dialogue" as oil prices jumped

US releases footage
US releases footage 'showing Iran removing unexploded mine' from stricken oil tanker

The US military released a video on Friday that it says shows Iran's Revolutionary Guard removing an unexploded mine from one of the oil tankers targeted near the Strait of Hormuz. It suggested the Iran had sought to remove evidence of its involvement from the scene. US Central Command also released photographs showing the apparent mine, which attaches to the side of a ship magnetically. Release of the classified black-and-white images showed US determination to convince the international community that Iran was responsible for Thursday's attacks on the Japanese-owned Kokuka Courageous, and the Norwegian-owned Front Altair. However, the Japanese operator of Kokuka Courageous said the crew...

Trump Administration Blames Iran for Attack on Oil Tankers, but Provides No Proof
Trump Administration Blames Iran for Attack on Oil Tankers, but Provides No Proof

Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said that intelligence demonstrated Iran's culpability, but he provided no evidence to support the assertion.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with *

Cancel reply

Comments

Top News: US

facebook
Hit "Like"
Don't miss any important news
Thanks, you don't need to show me this anymore.