No Houthi military in three key Yemen ports for past month: U.N.




  • In US
  • 2019-06-12 19:43:29Z
  • By By Michelle Nichols
Ships are seen at the Hodeida port
Ships are seen at the Hodeida port  

By Michelle Nichols

UNITED NATIONS (Reuters) - A U.N. mission monitoring a peace deal between warring parties in Yemen's Hodeidah region said on Wednesday it had not detected any Houthi military forces in three key ports since the group withdrew a month ago.

The Iran-aligned Houthi movement's unilateral pullout from the ports, used for grain, oil, commerce and aid, was the most significant advance yet for efforts to end the four-year-old war and relieve a hunger crisis.

Tensions flared again on Wednesday, however, after a Houthi missile attack on a civilian airport in southern Saudi Arabia wounded 26 people and a Saudi-led military coalition vowed to respond firmly.

The coalition intervened in Yemen in 2015 to try to restore the internationally recognized government that was ousted from power in the capital, Sanaa, by the Houthis in late 2014.

The conflict is widely seen in the region as a proxy war between Saudi Arabia and Iran. The Houthis deny being puppets of Iran and say their revolution is against corruption.

In December, Yemen's government and the Houthis met in Sweden and agreed to a ceasefire and troop withdrawal deal for Hodeidah. Under phase one, the Houthis pulled out of the Red Sea ports of Hodeidah, Saleef and Ras Isa last month.

Lieutenant General Michael Lollesgaard, who heads the U.N. monitoring mission in Hodeidah, said in a statement that regular U.N. patrols had not detected a Houthi military presence in the three ports since May 14. He said coast guard forces were providing port security, but the United Nations could not yet confirm if the coast guard was operating at the agreed strength of 450.

Lollesgaard said Houthi military installations and equipment had been removed from Saleef and Ras Isa, but largely remained in Hodeidah. He called on the Houthis to "expeditiously complete the removal of all military manifestations, including trenches as part of their commitment to the process."

Hodeidah is Yemen's main port and a lifeline for millions of Yemenis on the brink of starvation, a situation exacerbated by restricted imports of food and other supplies due to the war.

The Houthi withdrawal from the ports is due to be met by a retreat of Saudi-led coalition forces from the eastern outskirts of Hodeidah, facilitating humanitarian access to grain stores at the Red Sea Mills.

Lollesgaard said last month that a phase one withdrawal by government and coalition forces would not take place until the warring parties had worked out details for a broader phase two redeployment around Hodeidah and agreed on local forces to secure the area.

He called on all parties on Wednesday to finalize negotiations to allow for the full implementation of phases one and two of the Hodeidah deal.



(Reporting by Michelle Nichols; Editing by Peter Cooney)

COMMENTS

More Related News

Aging grand hotel highlights the ethnic division in Cyprus
Aging grand hotel highlights the ethnic division in Cyprus
  • US
  • 2019-06-16 08:01:58Z

With Italian chandeliers still hanging in the lobby, the Ledra Palace Hotel in Cyprus still manages to hold onto a flicker of its old majesty despite the shell craters and bullet holes that scar its sandstone facade. During the war in the summer of 1974 that cleaved Cyprus along ethnic lines, United Nations peacekeepers took over the hotel, instantly turning it into an emblem of the east Mediterranean island nation's division. After countless rotations of soldiers used the hotel as a barracks, the United Nations says the aging building's rooms are no longer suitable for military housing.

Exclusive: U.N. chief calls on EU to raise 2030 climate goal to 55%
Exclusive: U.N. chief calls on EU to raise 2030 climate goal to 55%

U.N. Secretary-General Antonio Guterres has called on the European Union to aim for a 55% cut in greenhouse gas emissions by 2030, far more than the bloc's current target for a 40% reduction. In a letter to European Council President Donald Tusk, seen by Reuters, ahead of a summit of EU leaders, Guterres said the world's largest economic bloc should lead by example to avert the worst effects of global warming and limit temperature increases to 1.5 degrees Celsius. Next week's gathering of the 28 EU heads of state is the last before a U.N. meeting on global climate talks in September.

Iran denies tanker attacks as tensions soar
Iran denies tanker attacks as tensions soar
  • World
  • 2019-06-14 11:51:17Z

Iran dismissed as "baseless" on Friday US accusations it executed twin attacks that left two tankers ablaze in the Gulf of Oman, raising fears of conflict in the strategically vital waterway. China called for all sides to "resolve the conflict through dialogue" as oil prices jumped

UN Security Council to meet on tanker attacks
UN Security Council to meet on tanker attacks

The world cannot afford a major confrontation in the Gulf, UN chief Antonio Guterres warned Thursday, as the Security Council prepared to meet to discuss suspected attacks on two oil tankers in a strategic sea lane. The latest incident, the second in the Gulf of Oman in a month, came amid spiralling tensions between Tehran and Washington, which has pointed the finger at Iran over earlier tanker attacks in May. At the request of the United States, the Security Council was to meet behind closed doors later Thursday to discuss the situation in the Gulf.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with *

Cancel reply

Comments

Top News: US

facebook
Hit "Like"
Don't miss any important news
Thanks, you don't need to show me this anymore.