Nick Kyrgios calls Boris Becker a 'doughnut' after being labelled a 'rat' by former player during Twitter spat




 

In any other summer, Tuesday would have been a rain-affected, stop-start day at Wimbledon. But in the absence of any official live tennis, the tennis world had to make do with a spicy online rally between former great Boris Becker and Australian maverick Nick Kyrgios.

Becker called Kyrgios a "rat" for breaking the code of locker-room omerta, while Kyrgios responded that Becker was a "doughnut" and "not the sharpest tool in the shed".

Becker began the exchange on Tuesday morning when he spoke out in support of his fellow German Alexander Zverev, whom Kyrgios had dubbed "selfish" for partying in a French beach bar only a week after he had been in contact with Covid-19 sufferers as part of the Adria Tour fiasco.

"Don't like no rats!" exclaimed Becker on his Twitter page. "Anybody telling off fellow sportsman/woman is no friend of mine! Look yourself in the mirror and think you're better than us...@NickKyrgios"

The conversation continued as follows. First Kyrgios replied: "For goodness sake Boris, I'm not competing or trying to throw anyone under the bus. It's a global pandemic and if someone is as idiotic as Alex to do what he has done, I'll call him out for it. Simple."

Then Becker replied: "We all live in the pandemic called Covid-19! It's terrible and it killed too many lives...we should protect our families/loved ones and follow the guidelines but still don't like rats."

Kyrgios: "Rats? For holding someone accountable? Strange way to think of it champion, I'm just looking out for people. WHEN my family and families all over the world have respectfully done the right thing. And you have a goose waving his arms around, imma say something."

"@TheBorisBecker is a bigger doughnut than I thought. Can hit a volley, obviously not the sharpest tool in the shed though."

As the head of men's tennis in Germany, Becker has a professional link with Zverev. But there has been tension in the relationship between Kyrgios and Zverev since at least last year's Laver Cup, where Kyrgios kept performing press-ups on the sidelines as a mocking response to Zverev's frequent double-faults.

COMMENTS

More Related News

The sporting weekend: Who said what
The sporting weekend: Who said what

-- Lewis Hamilton who won a seventh British Grand Prix despite his Mercedes suffering a puncture on the last lap. -- Stuart Bingham thinks he may have an explanation for his sloppy start at the world snooker championships in England. -- Bournemouth manager Eddie Howe on his decision to stand down following the club's relegation from the Premier League.

Nick Kyrgios pulls out of US Open over coronavirus concerns
Nick Kyrgios pulls out of US Open over coronavirus concerns

Australian tennis player Nick Kyrgios has withdrawn from the US Open and again criticised some of his fellow professionals for their decisions to ignore health advice during the coronavirus pandemic. Kyrgios follows compatriot and women's world number one Ash Barty, who withdrew from the August 31-September 13 tournament earlier this week. "I will not be playing this year at the US Open," Kyrgios said in a video on social media on Sunday. "It hurts me at my core not to be out there competing in one of the sport's greatest arenas, Arthur Ashe Stadium. "But I'm sitting out for the people, for my Aussies, for the hundreds and thousands of Americans that have lost their lives, for all of you....

Kyrgios pulls out of US Open over virus fears
Kyrgios pulls out of US Open over virus fears

Outspoken Nick Kyrgios pulled out of the US Open Sunday, saying he was giving it a miss for "the hundreds of thousands of Americans who have lost their lives". The tennis season has been at a standstill since mid-March due to the virus outbreak worldwide.

Nick Kyrgios won
Nick Kyrgios won't play US Open due to coronavirus concerns

Nick Kyrgios has withdrawn from the U.S. Open because of concerns over the coronavirus and in honor of the ''hundreds and thousands of Americans'' who have died from COVID-19. Kyrgios said in an Instagram post on Sunday that he had no problem with the United States Tennis Association proceeding with its plans to hold the tournament from Aug. 31 to Sept. 13. It hurts me at my core not to be out there competing in one of the sport's greatest arenas, Arthur Ashe Stadium,'' Kyrgios said in the video.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with *

Cancel reply

Comments

Top News: Tennis