NFL's Saints get unexpected boost from Pope Francis Twitter tag




Who dat - The fleur-de-lis logo of the NFL
Who dat - The fleur-de-lis logo of the NFL's New Orleans Saints featured in a tweet from Pope Francis on Sunday  

Los Angeles (AFP) - The New Orleans Saints got a surprise shout-out on Sunday from Pope Francis, with fans and at least one player taking the inadvertent tag as a good omen for the NFL team.

Francis created five new saints on Sunday in a canonisation ceremony at the Vatican attended by heads of state from across the world.

"Today we give thanks to the Lord for our new #Saints." he posted on Twitter -- with the combination of a hashtag and the capital letter of Saints apparently adding the New Orleans team's fleur-de-lis logo. "They walked by faith and now we invoke their intercession."

One wag with the Twitter handled @hacksawDG2 replied with a Tweet asking "Who Dat, father" -- invoking the Who Dat rallying cry of Saints fans.

Saints linebacker Alex Anzalone took time out from preparations for the team's game against the Jacksonville Jaguars to put a screen shot of Francis' tweet on his own Twitter feed.

"Wow, are we blessed or what?!??" Anzalone wrote.

"Couldn't lose after this," the Saints said on their official Twitter feed. "#Blessed and highly favored".

Indeed the Saints, who have thrived despite losing star quarterback Drew Brees to a thumb injury in the opening game of the season, had little trouble beating the Jaguars 13-6 to improve to 5-1.

Coach Sean Payton put the win down not to papal intervention but to solid defense.

Jaguars quarterback Gardner Minshew was sacked twice and intercepted once as Jacksonville failed to muster a touchdown.

"I told our defense I felt like if we had played eight quarters they wouldn't have scored a touchdown today," Payton said.

COMMENTS

More Related News

Snapchat Demotes Donald Trump
Snapchat Demotes Donald Trump's Account, Citing Comments That Incite 'Racial Violence and Injustice'

Snap, the parent company of social app Snapchat, said that Donald Trump's account is no longer being promoted on its Discover media platform. The company cited Trump's comments regarding "racial violence and injustice" for the decision. Trump's Snapchat account remains public, available to any users who subscribe to it or search for it. But Snap […]

The Trump administration was just hit with the first lawsuit challenging its executive order targeting social-media companies
The Trump administration was just hit with the first lawsuit challenging its executive order targeting social-media companies

The lawsuit argues that Trump's executive order violates the First Amendment.

After Facebook staff walkout, Zuckerberg defends no action on Trump posts
After Facebook staff walkout, Zuckerberg defends no action on Trump posts

Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg told employees on Tuesday that he stood by his decision not to challenge inflammatory posts by U.S. President Donald Trump, refusing to give ground a day after staff members staged a rare public protest. Zuckerberg told employees on a video chat that Facebook had conducted

Facebook
Facebook's Zuckerberg accused of setting dangerous precedent over Trump

Civil rights chiefs say they are "disappointed and stunned by Mark's incomprehensible explanations".

With rallies halted and tweets fact-checked, Trump campaign turns to smartphone app
With rallies halted and tweets fact-checked, Trump campaign turns to smartphone app
  • US
  • 2020-06-02 11:05:16Z

Should President Donald Trump and Twitter ultimately part ways, his campaign has a backup plan at the ready to get his voice out. Tensions between Trump and the messaging platform escalated last week after Twitter began to label some of his tweets with a fact-check. Trump responded with an executive order that threatens to curtail some legal protections enjoyed by social media companies.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with *

Cancel reply

Comments

Top News: Football