New Zealand mosque shootings: Six in court on charges they sent attack images




New Zealand mosque shootings: Six in court on charges they sent attack images
New Zealand mosque shootings: Six in court on charges they sent attack images  

WELLINGTON, New Zealand - Six people appeared in a New Zealand court Monday on charges they illegally redistributed the video a gunman livestreamed as he shot worshippers at two mosques last month.

Christchurch District Court Judge Stephen O'Driscoll denied bail to businessman Philip Arps and an 18-year-old suspect who both were taken into custody in March. The four others are not in custody.

The charge of supplying or distributing objectionable material carries a penalty of up to 14 years imprisonment. Arps, 44, is scheduled to next appear in court via video link on April 26.

The 18-year-old suspect is charged with sharing the livestream video and a still image of the Al Noor mosque with the words "target acquired." He will reappear in court on July 31 when electronically monitored bail will be considered.

More: New Zealand Parliament votes to ban semi-automatic weapons after Christchurch mass shootings

More: Facebook to restrict Facebook Live after New Zealand mosque shootings, Sheryl Sandberg says

Police prosecutor Pip Currie opposed bail for the 18-year-old suspect and said the second charge, involving the words added to the still image, was of significant concern.

New Zealand's chief censor has banned both the livestreamed footage of the attack and the manifesto written and released by Brenton Harrison Tarrant, who faces 50 murder charges and 39 attempted murder charges in the March 15 attacks.

This article originally appeared on USA TODAY: New Zealand mosque shootings: Six in court on charges they sent attack images

COMMENTS

More Related News

Thousands gather for Anzac Day in Australia, New Zealand amid heightened security
Thousands gather for Anzac Day in Australia, New Zealand amid heightened security

A Sri Lankan government minister says the bombings on Easter Sunday were retaliation for the Christchurch massacre on March 15, in which a lone gunman killed 50 Muslim worshippers at two mosques. New Zealand says it has no evidence of a link. Turkish authorities arrested a suspected member of the Islamic State group they believe was planning to attack an Anzac Day commemoration at Gallipoli attended by hundreds of Australians and New Zealanders, Turkish police said on Wednesday.

The New Zealand Refining (NZSE:NZR) Share Price Is Down 33% So Some Shareholders Are Getting Worried
The New Zealand Refining (NZSE:NZR) Share Price Is Down 33% So Some Shareholders Are Getting Worried

For many investors, the main point of stock picking is to generate higher returns than the overall market. But its virtually certain that sometimes you will buy stocks that fall short of the market average returns. We regret...

Christchurch attack survivors offered New Zealand residency
Christchurch attack survivors offered New Zealand residency
  • World
  • 2019-04-23 15:25:20Z

New Zealand will grant permanent residency to all survivors of the mass shooting at two Christchurch mosques in which 50 Muslim worshippers were killed, it said on Tuesday. Australian Brenton Tarrant, 28, a suspected white supremacist, has been charged with 50 counts of murder for New Zealand's

Sri Lanka bomb attacks were revenge for New Zealand mosque killings - minister
Sri Lanka bomb attacks were revenge for New Zealand mosque killings - minister

Junior minister for defense reveals findings of initial investigation, adding that two domestic Islamist groups were believed to be responsible.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with *

Cancel reply

Comments

Top News: Latin America

facebook
Hit "Like"
Don't miss any important news
Thanks, you don't need to show me this anymore.