New York suspect had no criminal record in Bangladesh, country's police chief says




  • In US
  • 2017-12-11 17:46:56Z
  • By Reuters

DHAKA (Reuters) - Akayed Ullah, the man suspected of trying to bomb New York City's Port Authority, had no criminal record in Bangladesh and last visited his home country in September, Bangladesh's police chief told Reuters on Monday.

Inspector General of Police A K M Shahidul Hoque said the information was based on the man's passport number.

The man was from the southeastern Bangladeshi district of Chittagong, Haque said. He last visited Bangladesh on Sept. 8.

Ullah, who had a homemade bomb strapped to his body, set off an explosion at a New York commuter hub during rush hour, injuring himself and three others in what New York Mayor Bill de Blasio called an attempted terrorist attack.

He had burns and lacerations while three other people, including a police officer, had minor injuries.

(Reporting by Serajul Quadir in Dhaka, writing by Krishna N. Das, editing by Larry King)

COMMENTS

More Related News

Second Rohingya
Second Rohingya 'leader' killed in Bangladesh refugee camp

Attackers on Monday killed a Rohingya representative in a Bangladesh refugee camp, the second such death in three days as tensions mount over the planned repatriation of some 750,000 refugees to Myanmar. Sources said the dead man Yusuf Ali was a camp leader at the Balukhali camp on the border with Myanmar. Mohammad Yusuf, a leader in the neighbouring Thaingkhali camp, was shot dead last Friday.

Tensions mount in Rohingya camps ahead of planned relocation to Myanmar
Tensions mount in Rohingya camps ahead of planned relocation to Myanmar
  • World
  • 2018-01-21 10:41:08Z

By Zeba Siddiqui GUNGDUM, Bangladesh (Reuters) - Tensions mounted on Sunday at refugee camps in Bangladesh holding hundreds of thousands of Rohingya Muslims over an operation to send them back to Myanmar, from where they have fled following a military crackdown. Dozens of refugees stood holding cloth

Nevertheless, She Persisted: A Year After The First Women's March, Energy Is Still High
Nevertheless, She Persisted: A Year After The First Women's March, Energy Is Still High

NEW YORK ― Marsha Annon and Yong Lee didn't attend the 2017 Women's March on Washington.

The Most Inspiring Photos From the 2018 Women
The Most Inspiring Photos From the 2018 Women's March

Women around the country showed up for the second annual protest.

Signs For The 2018 Women's March Prove The Movement Isn't Going Anywhere
Signs For The 2018 Women's March Prove The Movement Isn't Going Anywhere

Last year, New York City saw hundreds of thousands of protesters spill into the streets of Manhattan for the Women's March.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with *

Cancel reply

Comments

Top News: US

facebook
Hit "Like"
Don't miss any important news
Thanks, you don't need to show me this anymore.