New York man arrested, charged with threatening 'Las Vegas repeat'




  • In US
  • 2017-10-11 21:16:57Z
  • By By Brendan Pierson

By Brendan Pierson

NEW YORK (Reuters) - A New York City man has been arrested on charges that he threatened employees of a Colorado software company with a "Las Vegas repeat" days after a gunman opened fire on a crowd from his Las Vegas hotel room, prosecutors said on Wednesday.

Victor Casillas, a 34-year-old Manhattan resident, was arrested Tuesday night and faces up to 20 years in prison if he is convicted of making extortionate threats, according to John Marzulli, a spokesman for federal prosecutors in Brooklyn.

According to a criminal complaint filed in Brooklyn federal court, Casillas began sending threatening online messages to the Colorado software company after it deleted his accounts.

The complaint does not name the company, but its description matches that of Ibotta, which makes a smartphone app that allows users to earn cash back on purchases with retailers, and bonuses for referring friends.

The company closed multiple accounts around Sept. 26 after concluding they were all registered by Casillas in an attempt to get fraudulent referral bonuses, the complaint said.

In the following days, Casillas sent a series of threatening messages to the company, the authorities said. In one, Casillas claimed to have traveled to Denver and sent a photo of two submachine guns, according to the complaint. The photo appears to be a stock image from a gun website.

Another message said, "PLEASE TELL LOVED ONES TO START PICKING OUT A NICE BEAUTIFUL CASKET AND PLAN A DECENT FUNERAL," and went on to include names and photographs of company employees, according to the complaint.

On Oct. 4, three days after the Las Vegas massacre, Casillas sent the company an email titled, "GET READY FOR A LAS VEGAS REPEAT (Final Warning)," the complaint said.

Authorities have not said that Casillas ever actually traveled to Colorado or possessed guns.

A lawyer for Casillas could not immediately be reached for comment.


(Reporting By Brendan Pierson in New York; Editing by David Gregorio)

COMMENTS

More Related News

Harvey Weinstein Is in Treatment - but Defiant Mogul Is
Harvey Weinstein Is in Treatment - but Defiant Mogul Is 'Not Listening to Anyone,' Says Source

Harvey Weinstein is getting treatment but is still defiant in the face of allegations of sexual misconduct spanning decades

Las Vegas hotel guard says he heard drilling, then hail of bullets
Las Vegas hotel guard says he heard drilling, then hail of bullets
  • US
  • 2017-10-18 16:22:55Z

Mandalay Bay security guard Jesus Campos, the first person to confront gunman Stephen Paddock, gave "The Ellen DeGeneres Show" his first public account of how he responded to the deadliest mass shooting in modern U.S. history. Contradictory statements from police and the hotel about what time Campos arrived at Paddock's room have raised questions about the police response. Campos himself came under increased scrutiny last week after he skipped out on scheduled television interviews.

#RejectTheNRA: Julianne Moore, Emma Stone, Laura Dern, and More Call on Citizens to Help in New PSA - Watch
#RejectTheNRA: Julianne Moore, Emma Stone, Laura Dern, and More Call on Citizens to Help in New PSA - Watch

Celebrities come together in a new Creative Council for Everytown for Gun Safety PSA that asks everyday citizens to get involved.

Las Vegas gunman
Las Vegas gunman's estate could offer rare redress for victims
  • US
  • 2017-10-18 11:48:47Z

By Tina Bellon NEW YORK (Reuters) - Victims of mass shootings in the United States often win little or no damages from perpetrators but the Las Vegas massacre may be different because the shooter is thought to have been a wealthy man, lawyers said. While there are often few assets to collect from the

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with *

Cancel reply

Comments

Top News: US

facebook
Hit "Like"
Don't miss any important news
Thanks, you don't need to show me this anymore.