New York City takes stance after immigration agents show up at school




  • In US
  • 2017-05-15 21:00:36Z
  • By By Jonathan Allen

By Jonathan Allen

NEW YORK (Reuters) - New York City's Department of Education said on Monday that federal immigration agents would be barred from entering school property after agents showed up at a school last week to seek information about a fourth grade student.

The U.S. Citizen and Immigration Services agents went to Public School 58 in the New York City borough of Queens on Thursday to ask questions about the student, according to New York City Department of Education and U.S. Citizen and Immigration Services officials.

Anxiety has grown among immigrants after U.S. President Donald Trump was elected in November on promises that included building a wall on the U.S. border with Mexico and deporting immigrants who are in the country illegally.

In February, a young man who had lived in the United States since he was 9 was sent back to Mexico by U.S. border authorities.

New York City Schools Chancellor Carmen Farina on Monday visited the school to reassure students and parents they would be safe from federal interference.

"In our schools, we protect our students and our families, and want to reassure parents that no information is given to any federal agent," Farina said in a video circulated by City Hall through social media.

No student information was shared with the agents, Farina said, in keeping with guidance to city schools in March. Immigration agents will not be allowed to enter a school building, but will be "kept out on the sidewalks," she added.

Farina was joined by Nisha Agarwal, the city's commissioner for immigrant affairs, who reminded parents that public schools enroll children whether they are in the country legally or not.

The immigration agents' appearance at the school was the first at a New York City public school as far as Department of Education officials are aware, department spokeswoman Toya Holness said in a telephone call.

The agents did not ask to see or speak with the unidentified student, U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services spokeswoman Katie Tichacek said in an emailed statement. They wanted information about the student's enrollment to process an "immigration benefit," such as a request for a visa, a permanent-residency green card or citizenship, she added.

"Although school visits are not routine in these circumstances, they are not unprecedented," Tichacek said.

Trump in April attacked a federal judge's ruling that blocked his executive order seeking to withhold funds from "sanctuary cities," such as New York, for illegal immigrants, vowing to appeal it to the U.S. Supreme Court.


(Reporting by Jonathan Allen; Editing by Daniel Wallis and Richard Chang)

COMMENTS

More Related News

U.S. sues to stop AT&T buying Time Warner, says would hike rates
U.S. sues to stop AT&T buying Time Warner, says would hike rates

The U.S. Department of Justice sued AT&T Inc on Monday to block its $85.4 billion acquisition of Time Warner Inc , saying the deal could raise prices for rivals and pay-TV subscribers. The lawsuit is the first major challenge to a merger by the administration of U.S. President Donald Trump, who has

Before elephants, US loosened limits on lion trophies
Before elephants, US loosened limits on lion trophies

One month before the Trump administration sparked outrage by reversing a ban on trophies from threatened African elephants, federal officials quietly loosened restrictions on the importation of heads and ...

Fox Business host Maria Bartiromo goes on Twitter blocking spree after disastrous interview
Fox Business host Maria Bartiromo goes on Twitter blocking spree after disastrous interview

On Friday, Fox Business host Maria Bartiromo bluntly declared that President Donald Trump is facing "no allegations" of sexual harassment. Pundits and media watchers widely mocked the segment with former Obama administration deputy Secretary of Labor Chris Lu, generally labeling it a disaster.

'Fake' Apollo Moon Landing Photo Claims To Show Proof The Mission Was A Hoax
'Fake' Apollo Moon Landing Photo Claims To Show Proof The Mission Was A Hoax

Almost 50 years after man walked on the moon, the "giant leap for mankind" is under the microscope once again - with conspiracy theorists convinced they have proof one of the moon landings was fake. A picture allegedly taken in December 1972 of the final Apollo 17 moon mission has been shared online, and shows what one YouTuber believes is the reflection of a "stagehand" in the helmet of one of the astronauts. The photo, uploaded to YouTube this week by a user named Streetcap1 is entitled "Reflection in a Visor," and Streetcap1 suggests this casts doubt onto whether the 1972 moon landing, in particular, was staged.

US general says nuclear launch order can be refused
US general says nuclear launch order can be refused

HALIFAX, Nova Scotia (AP) - The top officer at U.S. Strategic Command said Saturday an order from President Donald Trump or any of his successors to launch nuclear weapons can be refused if that order is determined to be illegal.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with *

Cancel reply

Comments

Top News: US

facebook
Hit "Like"
Don't miss any important news
Thanks, you don't need to show me this anymore.