New shutdown threat as US budget talks stall




 

Washington (AFP) - US budget talks have hit another impasse over immigration, a key Republican negotiator said Sunday, raising the prospect of a second government shutdown if no agreement is reached by this week's deadline.

"I think the talks are stalled right now," Richard Shelby, the chairman of the Senate Appropriations Committee, said on Fox News Sunday.

The deadline for an agreement on funding to keep the government open is Friday, raising the specter of a repeat of the 35-day partial shutdown that ended January 25 -- the longest in US history.

Negotiators had been optimistic Friday an agreement would be reached that includes some funds for a border "barrier," although less than the $5.6 billion US President Donald Trump has demanded.

Shelby blamed Democrats for the latest snag, saying they wanted to cap the number of beds at immigration detention centers.

"Time is ticking away but we got some problems with the Democrats dealing with ICE," he said, referring to Immigration and Customs Enforcement.

Trump himself, who Monday hosts a rally of supporters on the Texas border at El Paso, said Democratic negotiators were being hamstrung by their party leadership.

"They are offering very little money for the desperately needed Border Wall & now, out of the blue, want a cap on convicted violent felons to be held in detention!," he tweeted.

He went on to suggest Democrats were ready to let talks collapse to distract from unfavorable headlines including a racism scandal engulfing the party leadership in Virginia.

"I actually believe they want a Shutdown. They want a new subject!," Trump said.

Senator Jon Tester, a Democrat, expressed cautious optimism that a government shutdown would be averted.

"We need to keep our eyes on this but I'm very hopeful, not positive, but very hopeful we can come to an agreement," he said.

White House chief of staff Mick Mulvaney, meanwhile, said a government shutdown is "still technically on the table."

"There's going to be a lot of different moving pieces so I'm not in a position to say the president will absolutely sign or will not sign," he said.

Trump "cannot sign everything they put in front of him, if there will be some things that simply we couldn't agree to," he said.

COMMENTS

More Related News

U.S. states sue Trump administration in showdown over border wall funds
U.S. states sue Trump administration in showdown over border wall funds
  • US
  • 2019-02-19 03:51:07Z

A coalition of 16 U.S. states led by California sued President Donald Trump and top members of his administration on Monday to block his decision to declare a national emergency to obtain funds for building a wall along the U.S.-Mexico border. The lawsuit filed in U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California came after Trump invoked emergency powers on Friday to help build the wall that was his signature 2016 campaign promise. Trump's order would allow him to spend on the wall money that Congress appropriated for other purposes.

Alec Baldwin: Trump
Alec Baldwin: Trump's 'SNL' Attack May Be 'A Threat To My Safety'

"The actor known for portraying Trump on the comedy show raised the questionSunday night

Booker holds back on questions about
Booker holds back on questions about 'Empire' actor attack

Democratic presidential candidates spent Sunday courting voters in states with influential early roles in the 2020 primary, their busy pace of holiday weekend campaigning demonstrating that the contest to challenge President Donald Trump is fully underway.

Ex-FBI official:
Ex-FBI official: 'Crime may have been committed' by Trump

Former FBI Deputy Director Andrew McCabe said in an interview that aired Sunday that a "crime may have been committed" when President Donald Trump fired the head of the FBI and tried to publicly undermine an investigation into his campaign's ties to Russia. McCabe also said in the interview

White House indicates Trump to veto disapproval of emergency
White House indicates Trump to veto disapproval of emergency

A top adviser to President Donald Trump indicated Sunday that Trump is prepared to issue the first veto of his term if Congress votes to disapprove of his declaration of a national emergency along the U.S.-Mexico border. The West Wing is digging in for fights on multiple fronts as the president'

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with *

Cancel reply

Comments

Top News: Latin America

facebook
Hit "Like"
Don't miss any important news
Thanks, you don't need to show me this anymore.