Nationwide Walkout Supports Kavanaugh Accusers: 'Women Must Be Heard'




 

Women's rights organizations are urging people to take part in a national walkout on Monday to show support for the two women who have publicly accused Brett Kavanaugh, President Donald Trump's Supreme Court pick, of sexual assault.

"We believe Dr. Christine Blasey Ford. We believe Deborah Ramirez," wrote abortion rights advocacy group NARAL on Twitter, referring to the two Kavanaugh accusers by name.

"Survivors must be heard," the anti-sexual harassment organization Time's Up tweeted on Sunday, urging people to take part in the protest.

The #BelieveSurvivors national walkout will take place on Monday at 1 p.m.

Groups co-sponsoring the protest, including NARAL, YWCA, Planned Parenthood Action and Women's March, have called on people to wear black and to walk out of their homes, offices or classrooms at that time as a sign of solidarity for Ford and Ramirez.

Ford, a 51-year-old psychology professor, has accused Kavanaugh of sexually assaulting her when they were both teenagers. She claims a "stumbling drunk" Kavanaugh pinned her to a bed, groped her, attempted to take off her clothes and clamped his hand over her mouth to silence her.

"I thought he might inadvertently kill me," Ford told The Washington Post last week. She has agreed to testify on Thursday before the Senate Judiciary Committee.

On Sunday, Ramirez, a 53-year-old former Yale classmate of Kavanaugh's, went public with her own accusation of sexual misconduct. She told The New Yorker that Kavanaugh exposed himself at a college party and thrust his penis in her face, which she said she inadvertently touched while attempting to push him away.

"Brett was laughing," Ramirez recalled. "I can still see his face, and his hips coming forward, like when you pull up your pants."

The Trump administration, as well as many leading Republican lawmakers, have cast aspersions at both women and their allegations.

The president, who has himself been accused of sexual misconduct by multiple women, attacked Ford on Twitter last week.

The White House has dismissed Ramirez's allegations as being part of a "coordinated smear campaign."

Kavanaugh has categorically denied both accusations.

Several rights groups have called for the suspension of Kavanaugh's confirmation process or the withdrawal of his nomination.

To find out more about Monday's national walkout, visit the Facebook event page.

Need help? Visit RAINN's National Sexual Assault Online Hotline or the National Sexual Violence Resource Center's website.

COMMENTS

More Related News

Christine Blasey Ford Emerges to Honor Gymnast Who Spoke Out Against Larry Nassar
Christine Blasey Ford Emerges to Honor Gymnast Who Spoke Out Against Larry Nassar

Christine Blasey Ford made a rare appearance when she presented the Sports Illustrated Inspiration of the Year award to Rachael Denhollander

Christine Blasey Ford Breaks Public Silence, Presents Sports Illustrated Award to Larry Nassar Victim
Christine Blasey Ford Breaks Public Silence, Presents Sports Illustrated Award to Larry Nassar Victim

Christine Blasey Ford Breaks Public Silence, Presents Sports Illustrated Award to Larry Nassar Victim

Trump administration official defends tear gas use at Mexico border
Trump administration official defends tear gas use at Mexico border

"Pepper spray and CS gas are authorized to address assaultive behavior," Kevin McAleenan, commissioner of U.S. Customs and Border Protection said.

Trump administration asks top court to restore asylum order
Trump administration asks top court to restore asylum order
  • US
  • 2018-12-12 00:13:54Z

The U.S. Justice Department asked the court to lift a temporary restraining order against the asylum rules issued by San Francisco-based U.S. District Judge Jon Tigar. Trump has taken a hard line toward legal and illegal immigration since taking office last year. Citing what he called an overwhelmed immigration system, Trump issued a proclamation on Nov. 9 that authorities process asylum claims only for migrants crossing the southern U.S. border at an official port of entry.

Ex-Ford Argentina executives convicted in torture case; victims may sue in U.S.
Ex-Ford Argentina executives convicted in torture case; victims may sue in U.S.
  • World
  • 2018-12-11 22:07:55Z

It is the first time former executives of a multinational company working in Argentina during the dictatorship have been convicted of crimes against humanity, one of the lawyers, Tomas Ojea Quintana, told Reuters in a telephone interview. "It is clear that Ford Motor Company had control of the

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with *

Cancel reply

Comments

Top News: Latin America

facebook
Hit "Like"
Don't miss any important news
Thanks, you don't need to show me this anymore.