Natalie Portman Backs Out Of Israel Award Over 'Recent Events'




 

Actress Natalie Portman has pulled out of accepting a prestigious award in Israel because she said her conscience prevented her from doing so, the Genesis Prize Foundation said.

The Jerusalem-born "Black Swan" actress was scheduled to accept the Genesis Prize, a so-called Jewish Nobel, in June, but the Genesis Prize Foundation said in a news release on Thursday that a rep for Portman explained the Oscar winner would not attend because of "recent events in Israel."

The foundation quoted Portman's rep as saying that "recent events in Israel have been extremely distressing" to the actress, and that "she cannot in good conscience move forward with the ceremony."

The prize was established in 2013 to honor those who inspire Jewish values. Former New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg, actor Michael Douglas and violinist Itzhak Perlman are among its winners.

The foundation said it respected Portman's right to disagree with the policies of the Israeli government, but was saddened that political reasons would prevent her participation.

"We fear that Ms. Portman's decision will cause our philanthropic initiative to be politicized, something we have worked hard for the past five years to avoid," the foundation said.

Portman did not specify which "recent events" caused her cancellation.

Portman's announcement follows Israel's response to demonstrations along the Gaza border this month, killing dozens of Palestinians. Portman, who said she was proud of her Israeli roots and Jewish heritage after hearing in November that she would receive the prize, has been critical of Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu.

HuffPost's request for comment was not immediately returned by a Portman rep.

COMMENTS

More Related News

Netanyahu and top Trump aide call on Europe to pressure Iran
Netanyahu and top Trump aide call on Europe to pressure Iran

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and US President Donald Trump's national security adviser met in Jerusalem Monday and called on European nations to do more to pressure Iran. John Bolton arrived in Israel on Sunday for three days of talks expected to focus mainly on Iran and its presence in Syria. Netanyahu strongly urged Trump to withdraw from the nuclear deal between Israel's main enemy Iran and world powers, and the US president did so in May, resulting in the reimposition of sanctions.

Netanyahu and Bolton discussions focus on Iran nuclear program
Netanyahu and Bolton discussions focus on Iran nuclear program

White House national security adviser John Bolton arrived in Israel on Sunday on the first leg of an overseas trip, and met Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, with Iran the focus of talks. Bolton is one of the U.S. administration's leading hawks in dealing with Iran's nuclear program. "We've got great challenges for Israel, for the United States, for the whole world - the Iran nuclear weapons program and ballistic missile programs are right at the top of the list," Bolton said.

Top Trump adviser arrives for talks in Israel
Top Trump adviser arrives for talks in Israel

Ahead of a joint dinner at Netanyahu's Jerusalem residence, John Bolton said that "the Iran nuclear weapons programme, the ballistic missile programmes are right at the top of the list" of global challenges. "I'm delighted to be here, and look forward to our discussions," he told Netanyahu in a video released by the Israeli premier's office.

Israel closes people crossing with Gaza: official
Israel closes people crossing with Gaza: official

Israel closed its only crossing for people with the Gaza Strip on Sunday except for humanitarian cases over border incidents that saw protests and clashes at the weekend, an Israeli official said. A spokeswoman for the Israeli defence ministry unit that oversees the passage confirmed that the Erez crossing had been closed. Border protests and clashes on Friday left two Palestinians dead by Israeli gunfire.

UN chief proposes options to protect Palestinians
UN chief proposes options to protect Palestinians

UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres on Friday presented four options aimed at boosting the protection of Palestinians in Israeli-occupied territories, from sending UN rights monitors and unarmed observers to deploying a military or police force under UN mandate. The proposals were contained in a report requested by the General Assembly in response to a surge of violence in Gaza, where 171 Palestinians have been killed by Israeli fire since late March. The UN chief stressed that for each of the options, cooperation by Israel and the Palestinians would be necessary.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with *

Cancel reply

Comments

Top News: Latin America

facebook
Hit "Like"
Don't miss any important news
Thanks, you don't need to show me this anymore.