NASA says there's 'no doubt' SpaceX Crew Dragon explosion has pushed back crewed flights




 

NASA desperately needs a way to get its astronauts into space without paying for pricey seats aboard Russian rockets, but the agency's two best hopes - SpaceX and Boeing - are stumbling a bit at the finish line. Boeing's Starliner has been plagued by delays nearly from the start, and SpaceX is now dealing with its own list of problems.

In remarks to reporters at the Paris Airshow, NASA Administrator Jim Bridenstine admitted that the recent destruction of a SpaceX Crew Dragon capsule during static testing is a major setback for NASA's crewed flight schedule. The race to be the first to deliver a suitable solution for NASA's needs now appears to be anyone's game.

Mars has a brand new crater, and it sure is pretty
NASA's asteroid probe snapped its closest photo yet of space rock Bennu
NASA is going to fire an atomic clock into space so astronauts know where they're going

"There is no doubt the schedule will change," Bridenstine reportedly said during his brief talk. "It won't be what was originally planned."

Back in late April, something went seriously wrong during a static test of Crew Dragon's thrusters. The thrusters being tested were those that would spring into action if a launch had to be aborted after it had already lifted off. They're designed to push the crew capsule away from the rest of the launch vehicle, keeping the crew safe.

Unfortunately, a glitch that so far has been described only as "an anomaly" occurred and the entire Crew Dragon capsule was destroyed in a fiery explosion. Details regarding exactly what went wrong have been scant, but both NASA and SpaceX are still conducting their investigations into the matter.

Up until that point, SpaceX was clearly beating competitor Boeing in the race to finish a crew-capable NASA spacecraft. However, an explosion can be a pretty big setback, and now it's unclear when SpaceX will be able to resume its testing and get back on track. In the meantime, NASA will just have to wait.

BGR Top Deals:

COMMENTS

More Related News

Apollo 11 astronaut returns to launch pad where first humans lifted off for the moon
Apollo 11 astronaut returns to launch pad where first humans lifted off for the moon

Apollo 11 astronaut Michael Collins returned to the launch pad Tuesday at NASA's Kennedy Space Centre in Florida where he flew to the moon 50 years ago along with the late Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin."Wonderful feeling to be back at launch pad 39A," Collins, the command module pilot for Apollo 11, said in an interview on the pad with Kennedy Space Centre Director Bob Cabana, himself a veteran of four space shuttle launches and a former shuttle commander.In the iconic 1969 moon mission, Collins, 88, stayed in lunar orbit while his crew mates Armstrong and Aldrin stepped foot on the lunar surface, an event that enraptured Americans and marked a preeminent chapter in human spaceflight....

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with *

Cancel reply

Comments

Top News: Latin America

facebook
Hit "Like"
Don't miss any important news
Thanks, you don't need to show me this anymore.