Motor racing: Castroneves has Tiger in his tank for Indy 500




IndyCar: 103rd Running of the Indianapolis 500-Carb Day
IndyCar: 103rd Running of the Indianapolis 500-Carb Day  

By Steve Keating

INDIANAPOLIS (Reuters) - If Tiger Woods can get back in the winners' circle Helio Castroneves says he sees no reason he cannot return to Victory Lane at the Indianapolis 500 on Sunday and finally claim a place in the Brickyard's most exclusive club.

In more than a century of racing at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway (IMS) only three men -- A.J. Foyt, Al Unser Sr. and Rick Mears -- have won the 500 four times and with a win on Sunday Castroneves would become the first non-American to join that group.

Now on the downside of his career, the 44-year-old no longer drives full-time on the IndyCar Series but Roger Penske continues to give his long-time employee a competitive car and a chance to get his name on the Borg-Warner trophy again.

The bubbly Brazilian has always been a driver to take motivation from wherever he can find it and this week is drawing inspiration from Woods, who completed one of sport's all-time great comebacks last month when he ended an 11-year major title drought with a stunning victory at the Masters.

"You know it took Tiger Woods 10 years to go back and win another big one so maybe it could be this year (for me)," said Castroneves. "You're always looking for positive ways to look and I'm always a positive guy and realistic at the same time.

"I can only imagine how special it would be. At this point you can dream big but you still have to execute first."

Castroneves was quick to put his mark on the Indy 500, winning on his Brickyard debut in 2001 and repeating in 2002.

It was seven years before he returned to Victory Lane in 2009 and he has not found his way back since, though he has twice come agonizingly close, finishing as runner-up in 2014 and 2017.

In 2014 Ryan Hunter-Reay denied Castroneves victory by 0.0600 seconds, the second-closest finish in race history.

Castroneves said it was the memory of 2017 that haunted him most, recalling how Japan's Takuma Sato powered past him with five laps remaining then bravely fought off the Brazilian to take the checkered flag.

"It's hard to forget the ones you've missed," said Castroneves, who has looked right at home back in his Penzoil Team Penske Chevrolet, qualifying 12th fastest in the 33-car field.

"Obviously great memories of the ones that happened but the ones you've missed stay in your mind.

"I mean 2017 with Takuma was really tough; I did everything I could but he did a really great job.

"Hopefully I don't have to think this year about being a close call and just make it happen."

(Editing by Clare Fallon)

COMMENTS

More Related News

Castroneves optimistic about another shot at Indy 500
Castroneves optimistic about another shot at Indy 500

Helio Castroneves is optimistic team owner Roger Penske will give him another chance to win the Indianapolis 500 for the fourth time next year. Castroneves no longer races full-time in IndyCar after a nearly two-decade career with Penske that included Indy 500 wins in 2001, 2002 and 2009.

Rocket Mortgage brings a week of unknown to Tour players at Detroit Golf Club
Rocket Mortgage brings a week of unknown to Tour players at Detroit Golf Club

Tournament golf is back in a sports-driven town on an old-school track, and the players contending over the weekend will likely be the ones who prove to be the quickest studies.

Andretti
Andretti's Road America winner Rossi coy on Penske IndyCar rumours

Ex-Formula 1 driver Alexander Rossi says his IndyCar future is "in God's hands" amid speculation he could move from the Honda-backed Andretti Autosports squad to Chevrolet-powered Penske for 2020

Woods dropped from suit on restaurant staffer
Woods dropped from suit on restaurant staffer's drunk driving death

Tiger Woods has been dropped from a lawsuit filed by the parents of a staffer at his Florida restaurant who died in a drunk driving accident after allegedly being overserved alcohol. Woods' lawyers said Monday that the superstar golfer was no longer named in the suit, which is continuing against

Tiger Woods removed from for wrongful death lawsuit
Tiger Woods removed from for wrongful death lawsuit

Tiger Woods is no longer a defendant in a wrongful death lawsuit filed by the parents of a drunken driver who died in a car crash. Attorneys for the parents of Nicholas Immesberger filed an amended complaint Friday in Palm Beach County court dropping Woods from the suit. The complaint still targets

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with *

Cancel reply

Comments

Top News: Golf

facebook
Hit "Like"
Don't miss any important news
Thanks, you don't need to show me this anymore.