Michigan Rep. Conyers denies sexual harassment settlements




 

DETROIT (AP) - Longtime Michigan Rep. John Conyers on Tuesday denied settling a complaint in 2015 from a woman who alleged she was fired from his Washington staff because she rejected his sexual advances.

The website BuzzFeed News reported on Monday that the office of Conyers, 88, paid the woman over $27,000 to settle the complaint under a confidentiality agreement.

BuzzFeed also published affidavits from former staff members who said they had witnessed Conyers touching female staffers inappropriately - rubbing their legs and backs - or requesting sexual favors. One former staffer said one of her duties was "to keep a list of women that I assumed he was having affairs with and call them at his request and, if necessary, have them flown in using Congressional resources."

Conyers, who answered the door at his Detroit home, told The Associated Press that he knows nothing about any claims of inappropriate touching and learned of the story from television just hours earlier.

"I have been looking at these things in amazement," he said, referring to allegations of sexual harassment and assault being made against politicians and others.

House Speaker Paul Ryan labeled the report "extremely troubling." Ryan, R-Wis., said the House is updating its policies for handling complaints of workplace harassment and discrimination, which have been criticized as too weak and cumbersome. His statement did not name Conyers, but Ryan spokeswoman AshLee Strong confirmed it was directed at him.

"People who work in the House deserve and are entitled to a workplace without harassment or discrimination," Ryan said.

BuzzFeed said it received the documents from right-wing activist Mike Cernovich, but independently confirmed their authenticity. Cernovich said he gave the documents to BuzzFeed News because Democrats would "try to discredit the story by attacking the messenger" if he published them himself.

Conyers is the top Democrat on the House Judiciary Committee and the longest-serving current member of the House, having arrived in 1965. Calls to Conyers and his office seeking comment were not immediately returned Monday night.

The government has paid more than $17 million in taxpayer money over the last 20 years to resolve claims of sexual harassment, overtime pay disputes and other workplace violations filed by employees of Congress. The Office of Compliance released the numbers amid a wave of revelations of sexual misconduct in the worlds of entertainment, business and politics that made its way to Capitol Hill last week. Two female lawmakers described incidents of sexual harassment, one in explicit detail, and Minnesota Sen. Al Franken apologized to a woman who said he forcibly kissed her and groped her during a 2006 USO tour.

House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., said Monday that she was unaware of the settlement by Conyers.

"The current process includes the signing of non-disclosure agreements by the parties involved," Pelosi said in a statement. "Congresswoman Jackie Speier has introduced legislation that will provide much-needed transparency on these agreements and make other critical reforms. I strongly support her efforts."

COMMENTS

More Related News

Five Former Players Accused of Sexual Harassment in Lawsuit
Five Former Players Accused of Sexual Harassment in Lawsuit

Six men-including five former NFL players-have now been suspended across three sports media organizations following detailed allegations of sexual harassment from a former NFL Network employee. Jami Cantor , who worked for the network from 2006 into 2016, made the claims as part of a lawsuit against

Jessica Chastain Says She Feared Speaking Out Against Sexual Harassment Would Affect Her Career
Jessica Chastain Says She Feared Speaking Out Against Sexual Harassment Would Affect Her Career

The 40-year-old actress admitted that her recent Golden Globe nomination came as a surprise.

Chef Batali exits company, TV show after sex harassment accusations
Chef Batali exits company, TV show after sex harassment accusations
  • US
  • 2017-12-11 18:32:24Z

Eater New York reported that four women, who were not identified, accused Batali of touching them inappropriately in a pattern of behavior that spanned at least two decades. Three worked for the chef during their careers, according to Eater New York.

Mario Batali Exits The Chew Amid Sexual Misconduct Probe
Mario Batali Exits The Chew Amid Sexual Misconduct Probe

Mario Batali has stepped down as co-host of ABC's The Chew after four women accused the celebrity chef of sexual misconduct. According to Vox Media's Eater, four women say Batali touched them inappropriately in a pattern of behavior that allegedly spanned two decades. In response to the report, ABC has asked Batali to step away from The […]

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with *

Cancel reply

Comments

Top News: Latin America

facebook
Hit "Like"
Don't miss any important news
Thanks, you don't need to show me this anymore.