Mets OF Conforto activated after concussion, OF Davis cut




  • In Sports
  • 2019-05-26 16:25:50Z
  • By The Associated Press

NEW YORK (AP) -- The New York Mets have activated outfielder Michael Conforto from the seven-day injured list and put him in the starting lineup against the Detroit Tigers.

Conforto cleared Major League Baseball's concussion protocol and was batting third and playing right field on Sunday.

The Mets designated outfielder Rajai Davis for assignment.

Conforto suffered a concussion when he collided with teammate Robinson Cano chasing a flyball on May 16. Manager Mickey Callaway says Conforto is ''full go'' with no limitations.

The 26-year-old Conforto is batting .271 with nine home runs and 21 RBIs.

Davis connected for a pinch-hit, three-run homer Wednesday in his first at-bat for the Mets. He had been called up from Triple-A Syracuse that day, arrived at Citi Field during the game and then homered. Davis went 2 for 7 with New York.

Callaway said the Mets hope that no other team claims the 38-year-old Davis and that he remains in the organization. He said it was a tough decision to cut Davis, and that the Mets wanted to take a longer look at newly acquired outfielder Aaron Altherr.

''I signed here to play here,'' Davis said as he packed his bag inside the clubhouse.

''I'm playing,'' he said. ''Nothing wrong with me.''

---

More AP MLB: https://apnews.com/MLB and https://twitter.com/AP-Sports

COMMENTS

More Related News

Pirates
Pirates' Archer out for the season following surgery

Chris Archer won't pitch for the Pittsburgh Pirates in 2020 and his time with the club may be over. Pittsburgh announced Wednesday that 31-year-old Archer underwent surgery to relieve symptoms of thoracic outlet syndrome. The procedure was conducted on Tuesday in St. Louis, and the Pirates said Archer will not be available this season if Major League Baseball finds a way to put together a truncated schedule.

Report: MLB intends to propose season of around 50 games
Report: MLB intends to propose season of around 50 games

Under the proposal, players would receive the full prorated amount of their salaries.

MLB could shrink season to 50 games if no deal reached with players
MLB could shrink season to 50 games if no deal reached with players

How short a baseball season is too short a baseball season? Major League Baseball's latest thought as negotiations over the fate of the 2020 campaign continue: a season of only 50-something games.

AP source: MLB players offer 114-game season, no more $ cuts
AP source: MLB players offer 114-game season, no more $ cuts

Major League Baseball players proposed a 114-game regular season Sunday, up from 82 in management's offer, but no additional pay cuts beyond the one they agreed to in March, a person familiar with the plan told The Associated Press. Opening day in the coronavirus-delayed season would be June 30 and the regular season would end Oct. 31, nearly five weeks after the Sept. 27 conclusion that MLB's proposal stuck to from the season's original schedule. Players, like MLB, would increase postseason teams from 10 to 14.

Mets
Mets' Alonso: 'I will not remain silent' on racial injustice

New York Mets star Pete Alonso is the latest high-profile athlete to speak out against racial injustice in the wake of the death of George Floyd. ''For the past couple of days, I've struggled to wrap my mind around what's happening,'' Alonso posted on Instagram. My heart has been broken over the murder of George Floyd.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with *

Cancel reply

Comments

Top News: Sports